Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
2006 Tradewinds electrical issues

Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some ideas on troubleshooting an electrical issue on my 2006 Tradewinds. The coach is on a Freightliner chassis and powered by a 400 Cummins ISL. When I put the coach in winter storage everything was fine. Mid-winter I went to start it and it would barely crank. I started the generator to give the chassis batteries a charge and then used the battery boost switch to try and start the engine. As soon as I attempted this I completely lost all 12 volt power. The dash warning lights and Freightliner information panel wouldn't even illuminate. It was completely dead. Even the electric steps would not retract. I figured the batteries were completely gone as I assumed they were the original chassis batteries.

Yesterday I installed new chassis batteries and the coach started right up and ran normally. The problem is there are still 12 volt issues that I don't understand. The electric steps won't retract. When I try to retract my Power Gear hydraulic jacks the system will come on and attempt to initialize but then goes dark as if its lost power. I noticed that when this occurs the back-up camera monitor also goes black. I cannot even get the 12-volt house battery disconnect to come on although it had been on prior to my replacing the chassis batteries. I also have no power to the system panel that shows the status of either the house or chassis batteries. The house batteries are on a 100 watt solar system and are fully charged.

I have checked all fuses, all 12-volt circuit breakers as well as wire connections to the fuse boxes and can't find anything wrong. I'm not sure what to do now.
Punks385RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Paul.....sounds like possibly your 12volt house battery disconnect relay may be defective. I think it is normally open (no 12volts to the coach) and latches closed (supplying 12VDC to the coach) and opens again when the disconnect switch is operated. This is a large, heavy current relay, located BEHIND the 12 volt Distribution Circuit Board in the last rear bay, passenger side. You will have to remove the Distribution Board to see it or remove it. It connects between JP2 and JP3 on the attached diagram. Rook

12v,120v power system all models.pdf

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Rook - thanks you so much for the reply and the wiring diagram. Im a bit confused by the location though in the last rear bay passenger side. This is my battery compartment and I don't see any distribution boards with fuses and relays. The fuses and relays are in the front compartment driver side directly under the driver seat position.

I did check the voltage on my house batteries and my solar charge controller indicates they are at 13 volts. Chassis batteries are brand new and the engine starts right up so I agree with you it sounds like the disconnect relay but I just need to find it.

For what its worth the battery disconnect had been "on" all winter so I could keep the LED porch light on in the storage area. I figured the 100 watt solar panel system would be more than adequate to keep the batteries charged even with any load left on (CO, Propane detector, porch light, etc.). Here in Colorado we get plenty of sun even during the winter and I maintained water level in the batteries regularly. It was only a couple of days ago when I turned the disconnect off that it wouldn't turn back on again.
Punks385RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Paul.....OK......apparently it has been moved to a different location in the 06 Tradewinds. On my coach, it's in the same bay with the Inverter/charger which is right next to the battery bay. It's mounted on the back wall, under a grey plastic cover, roughly 12x8x8 inches, the cover is held on by two screws. The distribution panel has many wires connected to it and should be pretty easy to spot. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 04-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Paul....as you can see on the schematic of the Distribution Panel I sent, there are many 12 volt fuses that feed many functions. Once you find your Distribution Panel, I recommend you check all these fuses.....a blown fuse replacement may solve your problem. Rook

Tags
electrical