Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #1

2007 Dolphin Electric Question

We have a newly acquired '07 6320 LX in which the Xantrex inverter supplies power only to the convection microwave, the front TV entertainment center, an outlet on the front of the small storage area next to the right front passenger seat, and to one of two outlets in the outer refrigerator compartment. Is this the standard wiring for this unit, or do we have some issues with inverter power??? Our last coach (not by National) had power to every outlet. We don't need the outlet by the passenger's seat, and it would sure be nice to have power for the coffee maker in the kitchen area. Many thanks for your thoughts and experience(s)!
Gary
garyvont is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2002 Monaco Windsor with a Xantrex inverter. It basically has a split system supplying with 2 different banks of breakers. My Inverter supplies power to pretty much every outlet except the ones controlled by my EMS system (2 AC unit, the water heater, and washer/dryer).

I would do a search for your specific inverter model and look at the wiring schematic to see how yours is set up and see if there may be a problem.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wild guess is that a GFI has tripped in the kitchen area....or there is a breaker panel in the coach or in a outside compartment with a tripped circuit breaker.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Depends on the model year, our '03 Dolphin LX supplied all outlets, our current '05 only powers the entertainment center. I believe in '05 the larger inverter was an option.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #5

Still trying to figure out how to get inverter power to most, if not all, outlets. No tripped GFIs or breakers. I do have the larger inverter, according to the manual, which gives no clue as to how to connect to outlets. Also can't believe an inverter should be used to power a convection microwave, the way mine is wired. A friend's '06 Dolphin has inverter power to every outlet. Any more thoughts out there??? TKS!
Gary
Old 12-19-2015, 12:19 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on the wattage of you inverter. My coach has a 2000 watt inverter and four house batteries. All of the outlets are supplied with electricity. If you only have two house batteries then you probably have a 1000 watt unit then only the outlets you mentioned will be activated.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Our's has the 1000 watt inverter with 2 house batteries. So on battery power, the inverter only supplies the TV/ entertainment plugs, outlets at the foot area of the front passenger seat, and the bedroom TV, and as mentioned, I believe a plug behind the fridge. The microwave is not connected as it requires more power that our 1000 Watt inverter could supply. If yours is the 2000 inverter,
it is probably wired correctly . Adding more plugs would require taking turns running more appliances. For example, the coffee maker using 1425 watts (like our single cup Keurig) could not be run at the same time as the Microwave using 1200 to 1500 watts.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #8

Thank you Gregory. We use the inverter very sparingly, and only when boon docking. So I'm not too concerned with overpowering it. I just want the "luxury" of an outlet for our coffee maker. Problem is, I haven't a clue as to how to change the 110V wiring to the GFI circuit over the kitchen counter. Does anybody out there know how to do that, without employing a technician?? (We have the 2000 watt inverter, and four 6V batteries.) Many thanks in advance to anyone/everyone who can give me some direction here!!
Gary
Old 12-20-2015, 05:51 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyvont View Post
Thank you Gregory. We use the inverter very sparingly, and only when boon docking. So I'm not too concerned with overpowering it. I just want the "luxury" of an outlet for our coffee maker. Problem is, I haven't a clue as to how to change the 110V wiring to the GFI circuit over the kitchen counter. Does anybody out there know how to do that, without employing a technician?? (We have the 2000 watt inverter, and four 6V batteries.) Many thanks in advance to anyone/everyone who can give me some direction here!!
Gary
Gary, you probably can run a separate circuit and install a gfi outlet in the cabinet facia under the counter top using standard house type components. The way I did this in mine several years ago was to add an additional circuit breaker by replacing the single pole type existing breakers with a double pole type. There are several places an outlet can be nicely installed depending on your kitchen floor plan. This can also be done but with more difficulty in the overhead cabinets above the sink. The separate circuit method eliminates the over load to the microwave branch circuit and the invertor. The new circuit is independent of the invertor.

Alternatively, for boon docking, you could extend the microwave outlet wiring thru the over head cabinets via the space under floors of the cabinets. The floor panels are just stapled in place. If you do that be sure to replace the microwave duplex outlet with a GFI type duplex and extend from that.

Marty
Old 12-21-2015, 08:34 AM   #10

Thanks Marty. I like your second suggestion best. Seems like a lot less work. I had forgotten that the cabinets had space between the floor, and the bottom. I'd still like to know if there is a way to charge ALL the outlets with the inverter.

Do you have any idea how to access the outlet that feeds the microwave? I suspect it must be between the back of the microwave and mounted to the inner wall. Ever pulled out a microwave? If so, how did you do it?? Many thanks again.
Gary
Old 12-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary, on my rig, above the microwave there is a speaker panel as well as a cabinet. The common wall between the two spaces is held in place with 2 screws. Access to the microwave outlet is in the speaker part of the cabinet space.

Haven't needed to pull out the microwave yet. I suspect some of the mounting support may be found in the bottom spaces of the two cabinets.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #12

M, I discovered that on my Dolphin, the microwave is in the back corner of the adjacent cabinet to its left. Guess I just never noticed it, as my DW packed that cabinet with cooking equipment. Thank you so much for the tip! I'll see how the inverter does with my coffee maker. If it doesn't deplete the batteries significantly, I found a short, heavy duty extension cord that I can hide between the microwave and the adjoining cabinet over the kitchen counter. That should suffice, as it can't be seen unless you look up into the back corner where the microwave meets the cabinet.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #13

The way the OP's coach is wired using the Inverter is not unusual. I am guessing everyone knows there is code issue in using anything other than a GFCI near the sink, if that is a concern. There are dozens of ways to wire inverter ciruits and no single way is "the standard".

Xantrex 2000s are pretty stout inverters and there should not be an issue with a coffee maker.

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #14

Thanks for your input Steve! I just "assumed" the microwave outlet would be in a GFI protected circuit, due to it's proximity to the sink. (I had also "assumed" all the outlets would be wired to the inverter, as they were in our last rig - NOT!) Do you know the answer? Also, can you tell me if each inverter-powered outlet has a separate line running back directly to the inverter? Or, is there some centralized location or switch panel somewhere in the coach that would allow one to pick and choose which outlets would be inverter-powered, along with shore and generator power? Many thank for sharing your thoughts and knowledge!
Gary

Tags
dolphin