Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2022, 09:22 PM   #1

50 amp shore power only reads 30 on monitor

I am going to apologize up front. I am new to this forum as well as a new owner of a 2001 National Islander. If this post should be somewhere else I'm sure someone will let me know, This is the first RV I have ever owned so I'm just all around new, but have learned a lot since this time last year. The problem I am focused on currently is that the MH control panel only reads 30 amps while we are plugged in to 50. This has been the case everywhere the MH has been. Since I don't understand voltage, amps, dc, ac, etc., this may be way over my head, but I thought someone here could give me a good place to at least start my investigation. Is there a breaker that I should check? Fuse? Is this an inverter issue? All my plugs work, I can run one of my a/c units, but not both. I'm in Texas, so I kind of need to run both at the same time. Anyway, any ideas you wonderful people can offer is greatly appreciated.
VntgIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2022, 09:28 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, Welcome to IRV2!

The most obvious question is what type of service you have, does your shore plug have three prongs or four? IF you have three prongs, you only have 30 amp service and it doesn't matter if you are plugged into a 50 amp outlet or not you will only get 30 amps. If you do have 50 amp service, then there is a problem in your EMS allowing only 30 amps to pass.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:56 PM   #3

Multiple stops with 50 amp service and EMS only shows 30 .

Here's how it works , 50 amp service uses 2 hot leads , a ground and a neutral hence the 4 prongs on the plug .

The EMS determines 50 amp rather than 30 by watching for voltage differences in the 2 hot leads ( refereed to as being " out of phase ") , sometimes the problem is with the park service being wired in correctly ; but being in multiple parks , should have eliminated that issue .
That leaves either wiring in the coach , but if the coach worked on 50 amps at any time since you purchased it that's probably not the issue .
So internal problems with the EMS ; is the big possibility .

Can you post brand name of the EMS and model info , and we'll see if there is a reset of the system possible .
Old 05-19-2022, 10:57 PM   #4

Turn on all circuit breakers in the main panel, even ones you know you don't need.

The 2 sense wires for the load shedding system are connected to random breakers and if one is off, it doesn't sense 240 volts and assumes 30 amp service.

One of the popular breaker they use is the washing machine, even if none in installed
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:09 AM   #5

Not sure about the Islander, but many National coaches have a 30/50 switch to prevent the coach from drawing more than 30A when connected to 30A shore power. With my basement a/c it prevents the 2nd compressor from running when in the 30A position.

On my '04 Dolphin the switch is located in the electrical bay with the shore power cord. It's a nondescript gray switch with no writing on it from the factory to indicate what it does or even which position of the switch is which. The previous owner marked 30A/50A on it with a Sharpie.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Following.
Old 05-24-2022, 02:25 PM   #7

If it's the Xantrex panel push the Power Share button and it will change to 50 as it cycles with every press
Romil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 04:09 PM   #8

Thank you for the welcome!

I have a four pronged plug.
Does Heart Interface sound like it could be my EMS?
Old 05-24-2022, 04:10 PM   #9

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me where to look for the EMS?

After taking another look, I think Heart Interface is my EMS type. Does this sound correct? There is a button on it labeled "power share."
Old 05-24-2022, 04:19 PM   #10

Thank you for your response. I believe that all the breakers in the main panel are in the "on" position. Where should I look for another panel of breakers?
Old 05-24-2022, 04:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romil View Post
If it's the Xantrex panel push the Power Share button and it will change to 50 as it cycles with every press
I'm not really sure about what type of EMS I have. Is this where it shows the battery state, DC volts/amps...?

Does Heart Interface sound right?
Old 05-24-2022, 04:23 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VntgIslander View Post
I am going to apologize up front. I am new to this forum as well as a new owner of a 2001 National Islander. If this post should be somewhere else I'm sure someone will let me know, This is the first RV I have ever owned so I'm just all around new, but have learned a lot since this time last year. The problem I am focused on currently is that the MH control panel only reads 30 amps while we are plugged in to 50. This has been the case everywhere the MH has been. Since I don't understand voltage, amps, dc, ac, etc., this may be way over my head, but I thought someone here could give me a good place to at least start my investigation. Is there a breaker that I should check? Fuse? Is this an inverter issue? All my plugs work, I can run one of my a/c units, but not both. I'm in Texas, so I kind of need to run both at the same time. Anyway, any ideas you wonderful people can offer is greatly appreciated.

Everything is working fine. It's showing you how many amps you're using, not how many you're getting. There's nothing to check.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhitch54 View Post
National RV Motorhome Owners group on Facebook is a great place for information on your motorhome! There are a lot of members in the group that can answer your questions about your motorhome!
Thank you so much! I'll check it out.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Everything is working fine. It's showing you how many amps you're using, not how many you're getting. There's nothing to check.
But, doesn't explain why only one air conditioner will run. It's possible the a/c circuit has an issue but from what we know now, sounds more like the EMS is keeping it from running for some reason.

Tags
monitor, power, shore power