RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
6 volt batteries

Can anyone tell me what is the battery size for the house batteries in a 1998 National Tradewinds model 7370. I currently have four different brand house batteries . I bought this used so I don't know the original specs.
jefkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #2

If I understand the question the size of the batteries can be what ever fits in the space! The bigger the total amp hours is what your looking for!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks. I guess I need to know what is the maximum amps I can use without damaging the system?
jefkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #4

No minimum amps limit--if money is an issue put in two 6 volts in series or one 12v--less money, less performance.....Depending on you charger/inverter config, you may want/need to change your charging levels to match bat amps hours--if you have that parameter.......
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Here are the manuals for your Freedom 20 inverter charger.
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=AE67F...2766057%212771

and here are the rest of the manuals for my 1999 Tradewinds. Almost all will apply youre your coach.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=AE67F...2766057%212101

You should replace all four batteries at the same time. Mixing types and brands is really a bad plan and is very hard on the charger. It also makes it real iffy as to how to set up the Freedom 20 per the manual.

These are the batteries I put in my 99 (@ $75 each) and they have worked out real well for over several years. Just be sure to check the water level at least twice a year. I check the water monthly just to be sure.

DuracellŪ Golf Car Battery - Group Size GC2 - Sam's Club

You will find install pictures here, along with a wiring diagram. Ignore the shunt!

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=AE67F...057%212742&v=3
Dick
Old 08-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Mixing batteries is very bad in every combination. The weakest battery in the string spends it's entire time drawing from the strongest one(s).
As Dick said, the charger doesn't like it either because it will respond to the demand from the weakest battery and overcharge the stronger ones..
I am a fan of the Trojan T105. I have had several sets over the years in two coaches, with the expected performance. Also like Dick said, I check my battery water monthly. Get the Profill water setup. It isn't cheap but it makes watering a string of batteries a piece of cake! I spend less than 5 minutes doing my 4 Trojans.
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hear a lot of myths about mixed battery banks.. The weakest one draws down the better ones is one of them.

ONLY if it is weak due to a shorted cell.. So long as its full charge resting voltage is proper it will not draw down anything.

What it will do is accept less and less of the load as it ages.. So your total battery bank life will go down and down.

By the same token when charging it will accept less and less percentage fo the total charge.

BUT, another myth is The smaller (older lower capacity) battery will reach FULL and signal the converter to go into float before the larger.

NOTE TRUE of multiple batteries in parallel. (True if in series only).

And when it comes to six volt v/s 12 volt I will answer ALL (But one) of your questions with the next paragraph.

There are no six volt batteries in an RV, There are, however 12 volt, 2 piece, batteries (Broken in half for ease of handling)

Of course each half is six volts.. Those who talk about the need for the batteries to be Identical (Same make model, size, age and so on) are correct for the two half batteries that make up the six volt pair.

To draw (ASCII) it out

6V + 6v = 12 volt, (Both six v's need to be twins of each other)
6V + 6v = 12 volt (Both must again be twins of each other but may be different from the other two)

Tags
batteries