Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

98/99 Seaview Battery Drain Issue

Hello,

My RV House Batteries have a 1 Amp drain/load even when disconnected using the disconnect switch. Nothing in the RV like lights electronics could be drawing that current, but I noticed the Slide is still "Hot" even after using the disconnect switch. Also, I pulled all the connectors off the 12 V distribution panel, and I'm still seeing this current draw. I'm wondering what items/appliances could be "HOT" and not routed through the 12V panel?

Also, if I leave the manual switch on the Starting Battery, it will also drain, and I was expecting that to be isolated from the House Batteries unless the Start Boost switch on the dash is being held on. When I close that switch, the Starting Battery shares the load with the House Batteries.

I tried searching the forums and didn't come across this problem, although maybe I'm searching for the wrong words.

My batteries do charge when I plug into shore power, but once I disconnect they drain down due to the 1 Amp load within a few days. Batteries are brand new as I replaced them thinking the old ones were bad. I've charged the old ones with my charger and they seem to be fine (I needed a replacement trolling motor battery anyway, so now I guess I have 2)...

Could one of my solenoids be bad? Thanks in advance for any advice.
jreising326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Monitor amps at the battery as you pull fuses, one by one. If all fuses are pulled and the same 1 amp draw, then start measuring what else is still active until you track it down. For storage, I have a knife switch mounted on the battery post to make sure no phantom draws. Often it's CO or LP gas monitor, radio memory, etc. that can drain a battery during storage.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #3

Thanks, I actually started doing that, but decided to disconnect each connector to the 12V Distribution Board after looking at the schematics. This "should" be like pulling all the fuses associated with each connector at once. My hands are big and I was hoping to avoid pulling each fuse independently.

However, it would be rude for me to ask for advise and not follow it (particularly if I was wrong in my assumption), so I did pull each fuse and still the same result, 1 Amp draw. So I concluded the current isn't being drawn through that board, so I went into the coach, checked the smoke alarm and CO2, both are off and isolated. They must be fed by the Chassis battery, which I have isolated with a knife switch.

I then decided to flip the dash switches, AUX1, AUX2, MAP, and Start Boost. The Start Boost switch appears to be at least part of the problem, it is a bit loose and didn't spring back like it should. I went back to my current meter thinking maybe I found the problem, but alas, it was still drawing 1 Amp. As I stood there staring at the 1 Amp draw trying to figure out what to do next, I heard "clunk", and it dropped down to a more reasonable 0.1 A.

Now the step won't go in. I figure I better document all this here in case some poor SOB runs into this. Its looking like maybe there is some solenoid sticking, either with the step (if it has a solenoid?), or maybe the Start Boost Solenoid was stuck on for a long time, due to a bad Start Boost Switch. I'll document what I ultimately find, but at least it seems I'm getting close!

Thanks!

Joe
jreising326 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery