Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
'98 Dolphin Wiring

I have added an inverter to the MH and am trying to figure out how I want to run the entertainment devices in the overhead front. I want to tie into the circuit that powers that area, but I don't have a wiring diagram to know where it runs from the back AC panel to the front of the MH.

Do the AC wires run in the ceiling or floor from front to rear? In the overhead, one AC wire from the right goes into the power outlet for the tv in the overhead and another comes out and goes to the left. There are no AC outlets on the front left side of the MH so I don't know where it goes except thru the ceiling over the slide and back to the rear.

I have put the inverter in the right front storage near the batteries that are under the step. If the AC wires are in the floor, maybe I can tie in and put a manual or auto transfer switch. I need to know where to look for the AC wires and how hard it will be to tie in.

Plan B is to run an extension cord thru the floor to the overhead and unplug the AC power strip from the normal outlet and plug it into the inverter's extension. I wuld like a more hidden and clean auto solution though.

Thanks for any info on this.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #2

YOU DO NOT WANT TO TIE INTO THE EXISTING WIRING.
If you tie into the existing wiring you run the risk of back feeding other items in the coach and creating several potential safety and fire hazards.
If you insist on doing that you will need an automatic transfer switch.
Instead why not simply run a separate wire from the inverter to a new outlet in the area of the TV and just plug the TV into the appropriate power source at the time?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I did know to install a manual or auto transfer switch. Running an AC line to overhead is an idea too. Won't be easy.

John
Old 12-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Problem Solved

I was able to put the inverter in the passenger side front bay which is next to the door where the batteries are located under the step. I drilled a hole thru the bay into the floor and took the 12/2 w/ground up a wall by a window and over across the ceiling edge and into the front overhead. The vertical wire is enclosed in a plastic channel and the top horizontal lead is covered by a partition that covers the top of the draw curtain etc. Can't see any of it unless you installed it.

I put in an auto transfer switch into the ac feed line and and the inverter line. The switch is located behind where the tv used to be in the overhead. I had taken the old tube out and put in a LCD tv swinging bracket so I can mount a 32" tv when we go on a trip.

It was easy installing the switch since all the wires were there and without the tv, I had a big opening to work in. This not only solves the desire to power the tv, dvd, satellite receiver, but it also controls several other outlets on one side of the coach. Thus I could use other devices that add up to 1350 watts if needed. That would be rare if ever that I would, but...

I use the LCD TV at home on one of my desks and leave the mounting plate on it so all I have to do is put it on the bracket when we go. DW doesn't like it there when traveling, so I put it on the bed and mount it when we arrive. We do usually go during the week for a few days at a time, when everybody else is working and the campgrounds are mostly vacant. We are retired but my DW tutors children who have reading problems and so we take shorter trips so she can do her thing plus supplementing retirement.

Can do pictures if anyone is interested.

Happy New Year to all.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:33 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
BTW. We haven't boondocked in a couple of years but when we do we will be more prepared with this inverter addition. Also, if the CG power fails in the evening when we don't want to run the genset, the ATSwitch kicks in and we can run some things on AC until the power is restored. Actually had this happen on our last trip when shore power was out for about an hour. Saved a little fuel and noise of the genset.

In a hot climate, no Air Cond. but I only have 2 6v batts so had to stay small.

I may have used camping as an excuse to have a toy to tinker with.... but why not?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed an inverter in the electrical bin rear of the front right tire in my 99 35' Dolphin. I was able to fish 1/2" plastic conduit under the cabinets from the electric breaker panel in the bedroom to the front bin. I run 6 12 ga. wires through the conduit, 2 ground, 2 neutral, and 2 hot. I connected one hot to the load side of the breaker and the input of the inverter. The second hot wire was connected to the output side of the inverter and the wire that was removed from the load side of the breaker. The neutral and ground wires were connected inside the breaker panel. All of the wiring is protected by the breaker, plus the inverter has it's own breaker built into it. The inverter has a transfer switch, when I am on gen or shore power is passed through the transfer switch to the TV's. When not the batteries supplys the power to the inverter. Works great for us.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin, wiring