Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
"99 Tradewinds Generator issues

Originally Posted by Rook
Tony, I need more info. Is this a new purchase Motor Home?, or have you owned it for some time? Do you have a DVM or VOM and know how to use it? My Generator Manual came with my MH, I bought it from the original owner. Does the jacks motor run at all? Rook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnude
Dear Rook, was reading about the posts you have, where did you find the manual for your generator, I have the same one you have, i have 3 issues lol, slide only moves a couple of inches back and forth, no levelers , gen runs but won't power up the AC or anything else.
I posted a message to you on the forum, then figured out the private message thing.
Thanks for all you do. Really appreciate all the info you hand others have posted.
Tony Jenzer
arjjarhead@yahoo.com
Hello Rook and thank you for the fast reply, I have owned this for a few yrs, the generator runs well. It just won't run the ac or anything else in the coach, i have read all the different post , are folks talking about the main large circuit board back by the inverter? or on the gereator?
Also the relays the 3 large plastic covered ones back by the 50 amp shoreline? Very confusing LOL, Yes i have a fluke meter and can use it.
My slide quit working a few months ago, it is out and will only go in a few inches and then stops, goes back and forth, have not seen any blockages, thinking a broken gear in the motor, as far as the leveler, I never have gotten them to work since i bought it used. It worked for the salesman lol, i checked the oil, it is right, no alarms or idiot lights, think it is operator error,, ALL the house and start batteries replaced 1 month ago and are up to charge, whew!
Main thing first is I would like to get the gen to power up all the things in the coach>
Thanks again brother for the help, feel free to bitch slap me if I said anything really stupid,
Tony
Tony...This will take a while to sort out. I suggest you start a new Thread on IR2 Forum so everybody else will benefit from what is discovered and what is said. We will start with the Generator. Rook
Wingnude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tony, assuming your Diesel Generator is the same as mine, the first thing to determine is if there is the required voltages at the output of the Generator. Inside of the control box (4 screws and remove the front cover), the cover will not come completely off, it is connected to other components by wires inside the box but will provide access to other things that may need looking at. ALERT, when the Generator is running, there are Lethal Voltages present inside the control box, so be very careful. If you don't think you have the skills to tackle this, then safety first, don't try it.
With the genny running and the control box cover removed, measure the voltages present on the back side of the output circuit breaker contacts. Should be 120VAC on each of the two legs on the ckt bkr to grnd and 230VAC between the two legs. I have a Service Manual on PDF file that would be very helpful, but it's too large to upload on this site. I could email it to you. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:58 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Rook, I will check that out, Tony
Old 12-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Tony, assuming your Diesel Generator is the same as mine, the first thing to determine is if there is the required voltages at the output of the Generator. Inside of the control box (4 screws and remove the front cover), the cover will not come completely off, it is connected to other components by wires inside the box but will provide access to other things that may need looking at. ALERT, when the Generator is running, there are Lethal Voltages present inside the control box, so be very careful. If you don't think you have the skills to tackle this, then safety first, don't try it.
With the genny running and the control box cover removed, measure the voltages present on the back side of the output circuit breaker contacts. Should be 120VAC on each of the two legs on the ckt bkr to grnd and 230VAC between the two legs. I have a Service Manual on PDF file that would be very helpful, but it's too large to upload on this site. I could email it to you. Rook
I'm having the same problem. No voltage to the transfer switch to switch the power from generator to the coach.

Is it likely the circuit breaker on the front cover or something else? I will pull the cover tomorrow.

99 Tradewinds 7371 -98 Jeep TJ modified
tufftj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:29 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could be a bad 30 amp output ckt bkr, but probably not.....it's a rugged item....likely something else.....like a control board component or relay. Do you have the Service Manual? Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 12-16-2016, 07:23 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Thanks , no I do not have a Service Manual.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can email you the Manual, but need email address. Rook

Old 12-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Could be a bad 30 amp output ckt bkr, but probably not.....it's a rugged item....likely something else.....like a control board component or relay. Do you have the Service Manual? Rook
I have the service manual for the generator. What would be the next logical component or should I try the troubleshooting chart?

My circuit breaker seems very mushy to flip on/off.

99 Tradewinds 7371 -98 Jeep TJ modified
tufftj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
tufftj....The troubleshooting chart is helpful, but the first thing to check is to verify the Genny is outputing 120VAC when running. My #2 post describes the process. Rook

Tags
generator