Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #1

A/C blows breaker

1997 Tropical - Generec/ shore power when try to run both a/c s breakers go?? Will run one OK is this a 30 amp / 50 amp problem & how can this be corrected to run both? ALSO with generator, the roof air will eventually blow breaker? Only had it 3 days / Thanks
Telad5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Breakers open when there is too much load (current). Excess current (load) will usually significantly drop the voltage to the device running, as well. The easiest way to see what is happening is to measure the voltage at the running device with a voltmeter, normal would be at around 115 volts, and compare that to when another AC is turned on. A significant drop in voltage indicates a problem in the power source.....or the added device. You should never try to run 2 AC's on 30 amp shore service. Normally, your generator should provide enough power to run 2 AC's.

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Where are the breakers that trip. On th epost, generator or inside the RV? Is your coach a 30 or 50 amp coach? What is the voltage at the u nits and cechk the amperage at the units?

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #4

AC breaker

It is blowing the breaker in the coach - gen has two breakers - 1 30 amp & 1 20 amp - neither has blown, just in the coach. From what I can tell it is a 50 amp coach. Thanks
Telad5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm guessing you have a Generac 5500 generator, which isn't strong enough to run both ACs, it isn't until you get into the big guys, 7500w and usually diesel, that you'll get something to run both units.
As for shore power, if you're plugged into 30amp service, that would explain your problem. If you're plugged into 50amp service and you're blowing breakers, you've got a problem somewhere... I'd get a volt meter and start checking stuff!!!
Good Luck!!!
TheBeachHous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telad5
It is blowing the breaker in the coach - gen has two breakers - 1 30 amp & 1 20 amp - neither has blown, just in the coach. From what I can tell it is a 50 amp coach. Thanks
Is your shore plug a 4 prong or 3 prong? Most 30 amp coaches have a 50 amp generator. 30 amp for the coach and 20 amp for the rear Air.
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have the same motorhome, I can only run one a/c unit with the generator. It's a little confusing to me but I can select which a/c unit comes on by operating the zone control.
I think that zone 1 is the front a/c unit and zone 2 is the rear but you can easily change using the dip switches. Simply, I just turn off one zone when running generator or 20 amp. I can tell you how if needed.
When I'm on a 20 amp circuit, at home for example, only one a/c unit will run. I haven't tried the 30 amp or 50 amp since I don't have the circuit at home. Next chance I get, we'll be going to a RV park for a couple nights to check everything out.
larrykathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
5500 Watts is plenty to run two A/C units....had one and ran two with no problem.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Have you solved the issue with the Breakers?
Later
larrykathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
5500 Watts is plenty to run two A/C units....had one and ran two with no problem.

Ken
If you're at sea level, maybe, however the wattage put out by a 5500w geny isn't usually close to 5500w they are usually rated at around 5k or some even as low as 4700, and if you have both both AC units running and they both cycle on at the same time if you are anywhere above 3k feet above sea level you'll kill the AC or the geny - maybe not all at once every time, but over time you will. Thats just a fact of life - simple physics - no arguing that point.
TheBeachHous is offline   Reply With Quote