Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2020, 11:43 AM   #1

A/C works on shore power but not on gen

Just got back from my third trip with me (new to me) 2006 SEA BREEZE 1350. She has operated flawlessly so far. I love this rig!! Anyways. I got home dropped the jacks, extended the sides and cranked up the generator. I had not used the generator since the day we left home so I thought while we unpacked I would exercise the gen. Since I only have an extension cord I need the gen to run the a/c. So once I got the gen cranked up I went the main console and turned on the main cabin a/c. The a/c did not immediately come on. AS I was turning the a/c switch back off I heard the A/c come up, so I quickly turned the switch back to on. No help. and the a/c did not come on again. So I tried the bedroom a/c to see if it worked and it works fine. I checked all the cb's next to the fridge and didn't find any tripped. To make it even more confusing...when I hooked up the extension cord for shore power, the a/c comes on no problem. I am confused. Nothing wrong with the a/c since it works on shore power, and nothing wrong with the gen because the rear a/c works fine on gen. HELP!!
riverdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #2

Possibly Gen is wired to only supply One Half of the RV Main AC Panel Buss

With Gen running you should check if both BUSS of AC Panel are HOT....voltmeter and be careful
*** A/C Units are typically fed from separate BUSS to balance Main AC Panel Load
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverdancer View Post
Just got back from my third trip with me (new to me) 2006 SEA BREEZE 1350. She has operated flawlessly so far. I love this rig!! Anyways. I got home dropped the jacks, extended the sides and cranked up the generator. I had not used the generator since the day we left home so I thought while we unpacked I would exercise the gen. Since I only have an extension cord I need the gen to run the a/c. So once I got the gen cranked up I went the main console and turned on the main cabin a/c. The a/c did not immediately come on. AS I was turning the a/c switch back off I heard the A/c come up, so I quickly turned the switch back to on. No help. and the a/c did not come on again. So I tried the bedroom a/c to see if it worked and it works fine. I checked all the cb's next to the fridge and didn't find any tripped. To make it even more confusing...when I hooked up the extension cord for shore power, the a/c comes on no problem. I am confused. Nothing wrong with the a/c since it works on shore power, and nothing wrong with the gen because the rear a/c works fine on gen. HELP!!
Sounds like you popped a breaker on the generator. Remove the generator panel and you should have two breakers. Also on generator the AC units should be both off when starting the generator. After it's running I turn 1 ac on at a time and keep them 2° apart preventing them from cycling on simultaneously.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #4

FIXED

Thanks guys!!!
I just took a break from work and saw your answers. There was a breaker on the gen that was tripped. So I unplugged from shore power and started the gen. Gave it a minute to warm up and started the main coach A/c . perfect. Then I turned on the bedroom A/c and everything is still fine. It's 94 degrees outside and I am gonna leave them on for a few hours just to load test them. I am going fishing next weekend so I wanna be sure it is all working good before I take my family out in the heat. During these times when we are staying away from each other, it nice that we can still camp and fish safely. Anyways...GOD BLESS you guys for responding with valid information.
riverdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
When you turn the A/C off you need to give it a few minutes for the head pressure to bleed down. That's why EMS surge protectors have a delay before returning power to the coach. You lucked out a friend of my son did the turn of A/C off and back on right away and tested his A/C unit.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:55 PM   #6

When you start the generator, you need to wait at least 30 seconds before it will supply power to the RV. The auto transfer switch has a delay built in to let the voltage stabilize.

Your timing, on switching things quickly, may have been the cause of the breaker tripping.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:51 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV A/C's have a two minutes time delay built into their control. When they are first powered on the fan will run but compressor won't come on for two minutes. The reason being if your on generator power the two minutes gives the generator time to warm up and stabilize.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
RV A/C's have a two minutes time delay built into their control. When they are first powered on the fan will run but compressor won't come on for two minutes. The reason being if your on generator power the two minutes gives the generator time to warm up and stabilize.
My air conditioner starts the compressor at the same exact time as the fan, when I send it power. No delay. My older onewirked the same way.

Most ATSs have 30 second delays for generator stabilization.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:25 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
My air conditioner starts the compressor at the same exact time as the fan, when I send it power. No delay. My older onewirked the same way.

Most ATSs have 30 second delays for generator stabilization.
My transfer switch also has a 30 delay. Both of my A/C's have two minute delay for the compressor starting when first powered on, it's in the manual. You can hear the compressors start and the generator take the load.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power