Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
A Few More Noobie Questions

Three more questions as a result of our first longer trip:

1. If I'm parked and not quite level is there an issue with the refrigerator? We all know if you lay a fridge on it's side it needs to be upright for 24 hours or so before starting. My wife seems to think not being level is an issue.

2. Do you drink the water from your tank? We take bottled water to drink, but I can see water from the tank having issues after it maybe has sat in storage for a few weeks.

3. Gas - After the very hard ride yesterday I was filling up with gas this morning and noticed after I got past 1/2 full there was a small leak coming out of the front of the gas tank. I could not see actually where. When I stopped filling, the leak stopped. If I filled very slowly there was no leak. I'm stumped....

Thanks in advance!!
FLRosebud is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #2

1, It needs to be comfortable enough to walk around in to be OK for the fridge.

2, We always drink the tank water. Once a year we flush it with a cup or two of bleach.

3, The fill hose or tank vent line may have a hole in it or slipped off due to a loose clamp. You need to find a way to get your eyes on it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
1) IF an absorption fridge should keep within 3 deg. of level, If Residential fridge..no issues
2)We use the fresh water tank for everything..ie:cooking/drinking/and what ever...
Twice a year I sanitize tank and lines with a cup of bleach and a couple of table spoons of baking soda.. I DO NOT leave the water hose hooked up to the spigot...only long enough to fill the fresh water tank using an in-line water filter.
3) Sounds like you have a loose clamp on the fuel fill pipe or vent hose....GET THAT FIXED NOW !!!
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:38 PM   #4

Just to put that in perspective 3 degree of slope is about 5 inches of height difference from one side of an RV to the other. (technically 4.9 inches of in 8 feet).

For some more perspective as to what this feels like an ADA code legal accessibility ramp has a maximum slope of 4.8 degrees.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #5

1) Forget all that 3 degrees this/6 degrees that......if tilted it is off level enough cause overheating
Only takes 20 minutes of off level condition to begin causing damage to an Absorption fridge.

Off level disrupts the natural heat circulation/gravity flow of coolant in the cooling unit....that can cause overheating of coolant AND the tubing

Sodium Chromate will crystallize when overheated..tubing can become fatigued/stressed when overheated

Crystals plate out/become as hard as metal slag...cause obstructions...disrupt coolant flow.......repeat process. It is accumulative & Permanent

Metal fatigue can cause tubing to crack...leak

2) Fresh water tank.......part of what makes an RV 'self-contained'
It is just a Large water bottle. Have drank from ours for over 40 yrs.
And only need to 'sanitize' WHEN/IF water issue exists.

3) Gas leak........
Find/Fix source of leak ASAP
Gas Vapors are highly flammable so do not ignore . Just cause you do not see it dripping liquid the Vapors ARE leaking
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:11 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We are going to stop by RCD in Delaware, Ohio today and hopefully have them look at the gas issue. FYI - I'm in the forensic investigation world, and am also a fire investigator. I told my wife when I discovered the issue yesterday that this was very serious because of the vapors, but she wasn't convinced. Your unanimous comments helped change her mind. Thanks!!

Al
Old 07-17-2018, 04:06 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
OK, this is becoming frustrating. With respect to the gas leak. We have called 6 RV places here in the Columbus area. Two are mobil repair companies, and 2 were recommended by FMCA. So far, NO ONE can take us. Either they are too busy and can not work us in for two or three weeks (one said they were booked solid until September), they don't do this type of work (only on the coach, not the drive train), and one has not called us back. While it's great to be busy...Really??? How do you full timers get emergency work done on your rigs? One was RCD, a HUGE RV place. They said they did not do that type of work. And yet they sell 1000's of RV each year......so I'm calling someone in Cleveland today to see if we can make an appointment for early next week while we're there. This is crazy....

Al
Old 07-17-2018, 07:48 AM   #8

Try calling any commercial truck service shop, tell them it appears to be a leak in the fuel filler tube. This is not an RV specific problem
Old 07-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Try calling any commercial truck service shop, tell them it appears to be a leak in the fuel filler tube. This is not an RV specific problem
Good idea. It's not on the fuel filler tube side. It's on the opposite side of the fuel tank (24 to 30" away from where the filler tube enters the tank). It's either the vent or it's where the pick-up goes into the tank.

Al
Old 08-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
A quick update. The gas leak was indeed the filler tube. The clamp screw was "tight" but the shop could move the clamp around - ie - it was loose. So the shop that put in the new fuel pump when I bought the MH stripped the screw on the clamp. It's fixed, so life is good. Because I was having other stuff done (Hellwig rear anti-sway bar, new wiper arms, fluid changes, and so on) it only cost me an extra $50. Cheaper than the gas to drive down to the place that messed it up in the first place.

Al
Old 08-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #11

Thanks for posting back, it is rare that we get to hear the rest of the story
Old 08-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Thanks for posting back, it is rare that we get to hear the rest of the story
You're welcome. I agree, I like to hear the rest of the story as well.

Al