Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #1

Accessing The Heating Ducts

Playing with our furnace during the colder months we noticed that one of the heating vents was not blowing any air at all. I'd like to check the flex ducting but I cannot see any way to access these ducts without dismantling some of the kitchen cabinets and flooring. Is there another way?
F4Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
What brand of furnace do you have? Often if you remove the furnace, you can access the duct connections to it. Suburban and Atwood have different removal steps.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:28 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Year and model of coach would help too.

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:49 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can access all of the heater ducts except for a short section under the kitchen sink in my 99 Dolphin by pulling out the lower cabinet drawers
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:52 AM   #5

Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahiti16 View Post
Year and model of coach would help too.
Coach is a 98 Tropi-Cal. Thought all that was in my signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
What brand of furnace do you have? Often if you remove the furnace, you can access the duct connections to it. Suburban and Atwood have different removal steps.
Not sure about the furnace. Will Look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
I can access all of the heater ducts except for a short section under the kitchen sink in my 99 Dolphin by pulling out the lower cabinet drawers
Going to look at the drawer idea but the first part of the offending duct is under the sink and it seems solidly built over and carpeted as well. No drawers until about 5 feet from the vent. Great design! If I can get the drawers out I may be able to access the header that they vents come from. Hopefully the problem is there. If not I guess I'll buy a cheap borescope on Amazon and see what I can see.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From what I have seen and read National RV used Atwood for the furnaces and water heaters. If you have never removed the cabinet draws, pull them out till they stop and continue pulling until they come out. The floor under the sink is the same in my Dolphin. There is a vertical panel under the sink that can be removed to access the back of the water heater. You can see the furance duct there.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:58 AM   #7

Thanks! Appreciate and will try the tips!
Old 06-11-2018, 06:58 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
On my coach some of the vents are adjustable and can be turned off at the vent. I discovered this when I too thought I had a blocked duct because of no heat in bedroom. Found out the vent was turned off.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
From what I have seen and read National RV used Atwood for the furnaces and water heaters. If you have never removed the cabinet draws, pull them out till they stop and continue pulling until they come out. The floor under the sink is the same in my Dolphin. There is a vertical panel under the sink that can be removed to access the back of the water heater. You can see the furance duct there.
You are right. It is an Atwood. And your drawer advice was spot-on! I can now access the hoses at the manifold box. Next step is to pull them off and see if I can find out what, if anything, is partially blocking a few them. They still do snake under the non-removable sink cabinet floor however. That is going to be loads of laughs! There are no adjustments on the registers so whatever is causing this imbalance is either in the box or in the flex hose.
F4Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #10

Get yourself a Bore Camera that can be used with a smart phone or laptop......then you could take a look thru a register....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Get yourself a Bore Camera that can be used with a smart phone or laptop......then you could take a look thru a register....
Was thinking of that but with the twists and turns in the duct and the relative delicacy of its walls (They are not metal) I can't just snake one in against the walls. I'd need one with a controllable head and tube. As far as I can see those are relatively expensive. What I think I will try first is disconnecting the header end of the duct and blowing compressed air into it. We'll see what comes out the vent.

Tags
heat, heating