Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #1

ACpower to outlets

I have a 2005 national seabreeze. Electrical problems. 1C/B controls power to both plugs under dresser, rear TV and then to front of coach to other plugs. I have power to CB but it must go to a junction box to run to the plugs. cannot find where this junction box is where the power splits. Any ideas where it could be?
ccraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #2

I had to read your post about 8 times to figure out what you were saying.

I doubt your wires are joined in a junction box. Most likely, they are joined at the circuit breaker panel, with romex running to the two different areas. Reason: it's cheaper to run two Romex cables than putting in a box to split the circuit.

You say you have power to the circuit breaker. Did you measure the output side as well?
Old 03-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Usually in an RV the current from the power panel goes first to a GFI outlet, then the other outlets are connected to that. Check that all GFI outlets aren't tripped and if they are O.K., remove outlet from box and test that they are passing power through to downstream outlets. Also check in compartments for an 'outside' outlet that might be the GFI one in the circuit.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check to make sure you don't have a tripped GFI somewhere in the coach. The outlets by the kitchen sink and in the bathroom may have them. If one of those is tripped, it will impact all of the outlets on that circuit.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BFlinn181 - You beat me to it!! I see you're in Cincinnati. I grew up in Fort Thomas...
Old 03-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have an inverter?? could be these plugs run off the inverter so you can use them while dry camping. Just a thought.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #7

Sorry I haven't got back sooner. Futher trouble shooting here is the situation. All GFI are good. Power using shore power does not work on plugs going to one ckt. brk. Tried on inverter and had power on everything. So why no power when plugged in?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Your inverter powers those outlets evidently. When plugged in to shore power, your 12 v DC is being supplied by your charger and the inverter is changing it to 120 v AC. When unplugged, those outlets are still suppling 120 v, but now from the batteries. Some inverter/chargers will switch from inverter to shore power when it detects 120 v, but a simple inverter won't switch over.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
The inverter has been mentioned but no one has said anything about the circuit breakers "ON" the inverter. Typically there will be two "push button" types. Check all (may only have one or may have three) to make sure they have not been tripped.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #10

Thanks to all for replys. After more than a month it turned out to be a board in the inverter and a fuse inside the inverter.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Did that fix you drivers seat also?

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #12

No. 2 separate problems. seat was shorted wire under seat and c/b popped thanks
Old 05-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
I had to read your post about 8 times to figure out what you were saying.

I doubt your wires are joined in a junction box. Most likely, they are joined at the circuit breaker panel, with romex running to the two different areas.
I only needed to read it twice .. HINT to OP: CB means something different in the RV world than Circuit Breaker normally. Just like AC and A/C have different meanings (AC is normally assoicated with the number 120, and powers the A/C, which is more likely to be associated with the number 72)

The most likely scenaro and wire path if the outlets are not in a slide

Breaker-----Outlet 1------Outlet 2------outlet 3--- and so on

The outlets use punch down technology, the wire is punched down into a "V" slot that cuts through the insulation and into the wire, a very poor contact results in many cases and the connnection can easily fail.

IF you have a slide

Breaker---Outlet 1----Junction box-articulated arm-junction box---Outlet 2

NOTE: outlet 1 is optional, and may be more than one in the chain, likewise may be more than one outlet in the slide.

Tags
power