Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Adding receptacles to inverter circuit.

A drawing I have (think it came from TheBerrys) shows the receptacle above the dining table on the inverter. It isn't in my 1999 Tradewinds 7371.

I want to add a couple of receptacles to an inverter circuit. One will be in the wall of the cabinet beside the sofa. This one will be specifically for my sons cpap. The over will be in the end wall of the sink cabinet - under the flip up counter. Any suggestions where I can tap the inverter circuits.

The drawing mentioned above shows a junction box in the microwave circuit. The drawing says see drawing #6 which I do not have. Where is the junction box.

Another point of confusion - the 30 amp subpanel under the sink feeds the GFCI circuit in the galley AND it has a circuit going to the water heater. My water heater is electric only. Why is there a 120 vac circuit going to it?
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
Another point of confusion - the 30 amp subpanel under the sink feeds the GFCI circuit in the galley AND it has a circuit going to the water heater. My water heater is electric only. Why is there a 120 vac circuit going to it?
Confusion continues with this statement .
If water heater is electric only , then it needs the 120v circuit to operate.
If you meant to say heater is propane only, then the circuit could be a factory pre-wiring for a dual 120/LP unit.

Before you add to the inverter, circuits , check the output watts of the inverter. The unit may not be big enough to handle a CPAP, particularly if it has a humidifier.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
I want to add a couple of receptacles to an inverter circuit. One will be in the wall of the cabinet beside the sofa. This one will be specifically for my sons cpap.
LakeKerrGuy
My CPAP has a "120VAC to 12VDC power supply/converter". That power supply draws 80 watts when the CPAP is on/operating, (2.5 watts when not running but plugged in).

However, since my CPAP runs on 12VDC, I never use that "CPAP power supply" in my coach.
I simply use a 12VDC power cord power like this:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...-adapter/1006/

A CPAP uses far less battery power when powered directly from the batteries via a 12VDC cord than it does if/when the batteries have to power an inverter, to make 120VAC, which is then converted back to 12VDC by the CPAP power supply.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Skip, I really blew that question. Yes, I meant to say it is propane only. However, today I got a big surprise when I traced the wiring to the water heater. It is a combo. I found a rocker switch on the back of the heater. This is behind a removable panel under the sink/ stove area. Stupid me flipped the switch. I do not know 100% if it was on or off. It will now not flip back.

I bought the rig a year ago and PO told me it was a propane only. I never checked anything except lifting the outside cover to drain.

I have now gone back and read the manual for the heater. It says to use on electric turn it on at the switch - the one on the heater and BEHIND the panel!! Doesn't seem practical to me. Would be a huge pia to go between propane and electric. I'm pretty sure the switch was on but apparently not working because I know its heated on propane when we were dry camping. Since the heater has no water right now, and I do not know if the switch is on or off, I lifted the hot wire in the J box AND left the breaker off in the sub panel.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mel and Skip, thanks for the replies.

My son has already used his cpap in the coach. He when to Gaffney with me last week. The two nights wal docking and cracker docking I had to run an extension cord to the outlet in the bathroom. Except for the TV's, that is the only outlet on the inverter inside the coach.

I had read that a cpap may not work on a MSW. It worked but he said he could tell the difference.

I found the junction boxes for the inverter circuits. The circuit for the TV's, outside receptacle, and bathroom is in a J box in the #1 furnace room. Although I do not intend to do so, it would be a piece of cake to add a line to the frig from this location. I am going to install a receptacle above the heat register in the hall - again it is too easy to imagine.

The J box for the microwave circuit right beside the subpanel below the sink. I looked at it yesterday, but could not envision they would have used a SO cord as the home run. I will tap here to install a receptacle under the flip up counter and by the sofa.

Tags
inverter