Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-12-2021, 03:42 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
After sitting a Year

My poor MH has been sitting for a little over a year beside my house. Yes, she's had 50amp every day. Look what has happened.

1. I can't get the fill bolt loose on the leveling jacks container, when I try really hard it almost looks like the whole cyclinder is going to break. Yes the jacks are retracted.

2. Went to check my 4 6volt golf cart batteries and they took over 1/2 of the gallon of distilled water. Now I'm wondering if I screwed up here too by leaving it plugged in over a year and not checking my batteries. On my way to get a few gallons of distilled water, then clean all the battery connections (no real build up of white stuff) then I guess I had better check each batter after a day or so.

Does anyone that has the same type of leveling jacks as my factory Tradewinds have a book or atleast know a place I could get a replacement tank that holds the oil?

Stupid me, after I get her back to good shape I'll be exercising her every month.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2021, 04:09 PM   #2

As long as the battery plates weren't exposed, I would doubt any harm was imposed on the batteries.

What make/model stabilizer jacks do you have? Can you post a picture?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:00 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Sgt. Joe...maybe try letting some penetrating oil sit on the hydraulic tank plug overnight, then give it another shot I probably have the same tank as you, it's from power gear . I agree with above your batteries are probably OK, I've done the same thing in the past and the batteries recovered fine.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:14 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Well I went through all my books and of course the last one was about the leveling system. A tent and truck are looking better and better. LOL

I have a Power Gear system. I even have a picture of the tank in case I break the weld. Even shows the part number. For the past few days I have sprayed the fill plug with penetrating oil and so far no help in getting it loose.

I'll see if I can order one and how long it would take to get it if I end up breaking the weld. When I put a lot of push on the breaker bar I can see where it pushes the tank next to the bolt in a little.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Well I went through all my books and of course the last one was about the leveling system. A tent and truck are looking better and better. LOL

I have a Power Gear system. I even have a picture of the tank in case I break the weld. Even shows the part number. For the past few days I have sprayed the fill plug with penetrating oil and so far no help in getting it loose.

I'll see if I can order one and how long it would take to get it if I end up breaking the weld. When I put a lot of push on the breaker bar I can see where it pushes the tank next to the bolt in a little.
I could never go back to a tent at my age. Shoot, I have trouble getting up out of my easy chair, I can't imagine what I would feel like after a night on the forest floor!

Power Gear has a good website filled with all sorts of manuals. You will need a bit of information to find your unit, but it will be there. You should find information that should help you.

BTW on my Power Gear tank, the fill plug is plastic, tank is steel, and just pulls out, but yours could be different.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds stupid but, try to tighten first then loosen. Sometimes that will break frozen threads loose.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:19 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I'll try the tighten in the morning and see if it moves then go lefty loosey
Old 09-12-2021, 08:26 PM   #8

Hi Joe - try giving it a few taps on the top with a tack hammer. No 3 lbs hammers...

Kind of like Grandma tapping the pickle jar lid to break it free.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:30 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Hi Joe - try giving it a few taps on the top with a tack hammer. No 3 lbs hammers...

Kind of like Grandma tapping the pickle jar lid to break it free.
Good idea, I found my little hammer tonight and will give it a tap tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:27 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Still can't get it loose. I'll leave it be until I get back from my trip.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:41 AM   #11

Sgtjoe, ours was going stuck to and not much leverage to get to it. We used channel locks and stuck the handle of the bottle jack on the end of them while standing on a step stool to get the angle needed to turn the cap without putting the entire thing in a bind. It finally opened for us.
maf92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:38 PM   #12

I just cleaned my battery terminals today and added at least a half gallon of distilled water to the house batteries. This is common annual practice of bringing the fluids up too par. These batteries are 5 years old and still going strong.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:43 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Today I pulled those heavy batteries out of my MH. When I looked in the cells I could see where some were dry. I could also see where the corners on 3 of them looked warped. These were purchased in July 2017. So I bought new ones at Napa with a 3 year warranty.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:58 PM   #14

power gear -- the cap plug has a o ring seal around it. with a box end wrench on the plug , give it a tap to get it loose. the weakest link is the 4 small screws that hold the tank to the resivior can, they will get loose and leak oil. replaced mine with allen head bolts ( grade 8 ) . the tank shakes and viberates a lot , i fabed a heavy metal strap around my tank to stop this problem. oil level should be ready to run out of the fill plug. atf . carry a spare o ring. jacks down alarm plug/wires is direcitonal senstive. 4 there is a grease fitting on bottom of all 4 jacks , need shot grease once year ---------- good luck