Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Air conditioner failure

Using my air the other day in the park and it quit. After searching and checking everything discovered capacitor and quick start melted took out circuit board as well. Parts on order. Coleman and my repairman both state this was a low power problem. I have known the power in our lodge park is in adequate. 30 amp connection but watching the voltage in park it dips down when to many use there air etc.. This day the park was almost empty. So I wasn’t watching closely. Expensive mistake. I have Had RVs for many years never had an electrical problem. I have been wondering about a Hughes electric or other surge protector that protects from low current as well. The Hughes autoformer states it can add voltage in low conditions. The only way I cAn see this function working is to steal amperage to make voltage. Anybody know if this is a possibility to prevent problems in the future. Advice needed!!
2006 National Dolphin 5355
Glamping2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am following this also. While in the Cape Woods campground in Buxton we were in a back section and the power was poor. The front AC got noisy and blew the breaker when used.It worked fine when used in another location. The Microwave/convection oven quit and tends to cut out now. They said not our responsibility. I want to get one of those protection devices.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:30 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like your in the same boat. I haven’t landed on what surge protector to get yet but I am still leaning toward a Hughes autoformer RV 50 220 vs the claim it can add up to 10 percent in low power situation and can protect against high surges. It really doesn’t say if it turns off the current if it drops low enough. They do make one that just turns it off in a brown out or surge it’s cheaper but doesn’t add anything to power. Not sure which is better. Amazon seems to have the best price.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:11 AM   #4

I found and purchased a digital plug in AC Voltmeter on Amazon... $4 or $5 shipped from China.... 2% accuracy.... I actually bought 2, one I installed in one of the shore power plugs... the other I installed in one of the plugs powered by the inverter...

I'm sitting at a RV spot attached to Bonneville Dam... the power comes to the site from the dam and the property is Bonneville Dam property... I've noticed a low of 111 volts and a high of 120 volts over the past 30 days.... all of which are within the standard numbers for supply....
At home it stayed in the 115 to 117 range all the time I was connected to shore power.... I'm interested to see how it is when the gen set is running and as we start to travel...
I haven't set a low limit point.... But I'm interested if my Sure-Guard surge protector will trip and where it will trip at...
Old 10-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
You want to look at a EMS (energy management system) unit, portable or hard wired like a Progressive Industries unit.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Air conditioner failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
You want to look at a EMS (energy management system) unit, portable or hard wired like a Progressive Industries unit.

I have the Progressive hardwired unit with the remote display located in the coach via the old telephone jack. With the remote you can switch it to bypass if you need to. It will shut you down if it gets outside the safe parameters that it is designed to. Because of having the display you will see in real time how low the voltage can get. You can really notice from the sound of the microwave. I just recently installed the Hughes AutoFormer because of a recent campground only having 107v on one leg. If your budget allows I would go with the Hughes they have surge protection but now real time monitoring of your loads. You may have a newer coach that already gives you that capability. The Hughes is always giving you 2% and only goes to 10% when needed and not on both lines necessarily.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4035.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	262560Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4037.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	262561Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4036.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	262562Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1123.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	262568
This picture was before I relocated the monitor in the coach.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamping2 View Post
Using my air the other day in the park and it quit. After searching and checking everything discovered capacitor and quick start melted took out circuit board as well. Parts on order. Coleman and my repairman both state this was a low power problem. I have known the power in our lodge park is in adequate. 30 amp connection but watching the voltage in park it dips down when to many use there air etc.. This day the park was almost empty. So I wasn’t watching closely. Expensive mistake. I have Had RVs for many years never had an electrical problem. I have been wondering about a Hughes electric or other surge protector that protects from low current as well. The Hughes autoformer states it can add voltage in low conditions. The only way I cAn see this function working is to steal amperage to make voltage. Anybody know if this is a possibility to prevent problems in the future. Advice needed!!

2006 National Dolphin 5355

That is my understanding on how it works and claims it doesn’t affect the parks power or you neighbor.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Picked up the surge control

Well I ended up getting the Hughes autoformer power watchdog 50 amp. Model PWD50-EPO-H. It has Bluetooth to your phone which gives you voltage on each line, amperage, checks all lines even coach neutral. Shuts off at 132 /104 respectively. Even tracks usage. Also has a replaceable board for extra heavy surges .But the pictured one on amazon showed it wired with plug ends but the one sent is for hard wired. To much trouble sending this one back so I am wiring it with plugs. It appears it is water resistant everywhere but wire hook terminals which could be sealed off. But I will err on the side of safety and put it in a case or in the bay.

Tags
air conditioner, air