Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #1

Any one replace Dinette or Sofa, with conv bed?

Hi all,

I have a 2000 National Tradewinds 7371 ... and I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their kitchen dinette -- or the main sofa -- with a dinette booth that converts into a bed, or a sofa that allows you to convert to a bed without having to move the recliner. (See diagram)

I ask this because I find the soft converting into a queen is a massive pain -- because the recliner needs to be moved, and is heavy ... and it's impossible to walk around. We almost always have only one person sleeping in that bed anyway ... so it seems there's a better way.

And, if I could figure out how to replace the dinette with something that also could be more useful, that may be good too (although, I'm a lot less hopeful on it).

Thanks!
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-replacement-retroffit.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	305256  
neilticktin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2020, 02:31 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Couch

Replaced the sofa with a sleep sofa from Ikea. Now the couch is out an we have recliners. If it wasn’t for change....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BE2961F0-DC17-4BBB-96CF-A1A555DD8689.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	305286   Click image for larger version

Name:	5DACD294-D571-45D0-960E-FA9B5DC8C378.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	305287  

C1v1leng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #3

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1v1leng View Post
Replaced the sofa with a sleep sofa from Ikea. Now the couch is out an we have recliners. If it wasn’t for change....
Just curious, why did you take the sofa out?

N
neilticktin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:46 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Couch

My wife has some disc issues and wanted a chair that she finds comfortable. The photo is the one I got for me. When we get ready to leave, I will take the other one from the house and screw it down.
Happy wife......
C1v1leng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:27 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C1v1leng View Post
I'm looking through old threads for information about how to remove the sofa from my Tradewinds. I believe I found a thread where you said your DW needed a redesign of the sofa you used as a replacement of the original. I take it the chairs are the replacement?

I also see you have replaced the carpet with tile or LVP. Wanting to do that is why I want to take the sofa out. I want to replace it with chairs. But, DW wants to keep it as a bed. I may be able to get her to agree to a Jack Knife sofa if I cannot convince her about the chairs
But back to the points:
How did you get the original sofa out?
Any issues with the carpet replacement?
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:38 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilticktin View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2000 National Tradewinds 7371 ... and I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their kitchen dinette --

I ask this because I find the soft converting into a queen is a massive pain -- because the recliner needs to be moved, and is heavy ... and it's impossible to walk around. We almost always have only one person sleeping in that bed anyway ... so it seems there's a better way. Agree 100%. It is a pain!!!

And, if I could figure out how to replace the dinette with something that also could be more useful, that may be good too (although, I'm a lot less hopeful on it. I replaced our dinette table with a butcher block counter to. Put legs on it so it actually is a table. Lowes has them at the exact length needed. It was not by design. My wife's niece was staying in the MH. Somehow the dinette got broken off the wall. It was easier to replace with the table I made than to reattach. Plus, it provides one more seat which we need when granddaughter travels with us.).

Thanks!
Neil
What did you end up doing about the sofa? Keep or replace?
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:43 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Here’s the final product

DWIs happy.

Name:	05BB1E98-486E-4774-B7EE-96F6FF51F61C.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	330132