Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Attacked by a Pit Bull **Update**

Well here's an update that we didn't want to hear about -

The pit bull that attacked Maya and I original post here, just attacked another dog in the neighborhood!!

We haven't been at our home in RI for a couple of weeks, and we just got a call from our son, who is living there now, telling us that the pit bull just attacked one of the other neighbor's dogs!

For one, I am SUPER happy that we pursued the Vicious Dog Hearing with our case, and ended up with the hearing results we did. Unfortunately if this turns out to be a case of the pit bull launching another unprovoked attack, the outcome will probably not be so good for her - but that's not for me to decide.

Our personal injury case is still with the lawyers and now this certainly brings another wrinkle into the case as a whole. For me, this re-opens all the murky answers about where they obtained this dog, why it was chipped before our attack and why they "could not read it and didnt know when the dog was chipped".

It's horrible that another family in the neighborhood has been victimized, and I hope that their physical outcome is not worse than ours.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #2

Amazing ..... and infuriating.

Hopefully the "vicious dog" determination that you pursued in your own case will result in severe sanctions against the owner this time. Some people need more than a slap on the wrist to see the big picture, and to "own up" as any person with integrity and intelligence should do (imo).

Any word on the victim-dog's status?

Am curious to know what, if anything, the owner said following this new attack, maybe the old, tired line of "My pet never harmed anyone or anything before." (sigh) .........
Old 05-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Once the dog starts being aggressive and attacks another, its very, very hard to get it to stop..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think this is heading towards a terrible outcome for the latest dog victim. The circumstances that I have learned about this latest attack are ALL too similar to the one we suffered.

This time it was another neighbors 2 young children, one on a bike, one walking their dog on a leash. The pit bull *again* came running out of the owners house and attacked the dog. Unfortunately this time the victim dogs owner was not right there ... they live about 4 houses down.

From what I understand they could not get the pit bull off and essentially separated the two dogs by pulling them apart. This caused some serious wounds to the victim dog and as of right now, the victim dog owners cannot afford to take their injured dog to the vet. It's a horrible circumstance, and one that I think, may have a very sad ending to it.

This is a very sad day ...

We know first hand what the victim dog owners are going through, and can relate to how much pain the dog is in.

On the other hand I feel EXCELLENT about our decision to pursue a vicious dog hearing. These pit bull owners made us feel terrible, were rude and obnoxious to us, spit all over our motorhome while it was parked in our driveway (right next to theirs) and have yet to offer any monetary compensation for our damages.

Just to restate the results of our vicious dog hearing:

Quote:
The panel came back 3/0 on the following restrictions:

- the dog has been labeled vicious and will carry this determination for the rest of its life
- the owners must maintain a $100,000 insurance policy on the dog and also list the city in the policy. This, like a bank that is listed on a car insurance policy, ensures that if the policy is updated or cancelled, the city is notified
- The dog must be micro-chipped
- A sign stating "Vicious Dog On Property" must be placed on the propery and be clearly visible from the street. The sign must state Vicious Dog
- The police must be notified if the dog is loose
- Any time the dog is off of the owners property (walks, etc), it must be leashed and muzzled
- The dog must be leashed or on a tie-out any time it is outside on the owners property
- The dog must be spayed
- If the owners move, they must notify both the current and new police departments
- The owner cannot sell or give the dog away
- The dog is not allowed to be present in any dog parks

What is important about these requirements is that a failure to heed them will result in arrest of the owners and potential criminal charges filed. These are not optional for the dog owner.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With reports like this, I do not see any person with a conscience could want to have a pit bull around.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Unfortunately you live in RI, if this happened in SoCal, the dog would have been put down after the first attack.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Remember when Doberman's were man's worst pet, then Rottweiler's. There may have been several more "breeds" that can be remembered. It is not so much the breed as it is the owner that let's that particular animal of the breed get out of control, or they are trained. I have seen many a pit bull that was as docile as the day is long.

I have seen Wolves as pets, and they have been docile. I really believe it is the owner who is responsible for the behavioral attitude of a dog.

I'm glad to see the 3/0 ruling on the Pit Bull. Let us all hope he does no more harm. Think about a small toddler who slipped away and is walking down the street.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Unfortunately you live in RI, if this happened in SoCal, the dog would have been put down after the first attack.

fred
As it SHOULD have been.

I'm in total agreement with those who say it's the owners and not the dogs. I have nothing against hand guns either but if I see a loaded gun in the midst of playing children it will get my full attention until I feel the situation is safe. That's how I feel about pits. They get my full attention whenever I see one and I always remove myself from the area.

I witnessed first hand what these powerful animals can do because my brother was one of the "bad owners" we always talk about.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs
I think this is heading towards a terrible outcome for the latest dog victim. The circumstances that I have learned about this latest attack are ALL too similar to the one we suffered.

This time it was another neighbors 2 young children, one on a bike, one walking their dog on a leash. The pit bull *again* came running out of the owners house and attacked the dog. Unfortunately this time the victim dogs owner was not right there ... they live about 4 houses down.

From what I understand they could not get the pit bull off and essentially separated the two dogs by pulling them apart. This caused some serious wounds to the victim dog and as of right now, the victim dog owners cannot afford to take their injured dog to the vet. It's a horrible circumstance, and one that I think, may have a very sad ending to it.

This is a very sad day ...

We know first hand what the victim dog owners are going through, and can relate to how much pain the dog is in.

On the other hand I feel EXCELLENT about our decision to pursue a vicious dog hearing. These pit bull owners made us feel terrible, were rude and obnoxious to us, spit all over our motorhome while it was parked in our driveway (right next to theirs) and have yet to offer any monetary compensation for our damages.

Just to restate the results of our vicious dog hearing:
I think all that sounds good and well, but this new situation proves that it doesn't serve a single purpose to keep others safe! So glad it didn't go after the children! I think this dog needs to be put down. And maybe the dogs owners as well!
Grandpadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
Remember when Doberman's were man's worst pet, then Rottweiler's. There may have been several more "breeds" that can be remembered. It is not so much the breed as it is the owner that let's that particular animal of the breed get out of control, or they are trained. I have seen many a pit bull that was as docile as the day is long.

I have seen Wolves as pets, and they have been docile. I really believe it is the owner who is responsible for the behavioral attitude of a dog.

I'm glad to see the 3/0 ruling on the Pit Bull. Let us all hope he does no more harm. Think about a small toddler who slipped away and is walking down the street.
That's where your mistaken. It is the nature of the beast. Something in a pitbull can snap at any time.!
Grandpadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #11

Don't any of you dog owners have a Right to Carry? I don't walk mine with out one.

YA YA I know. Rather be safe than sorry.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Years ago there was a half front page article in the newspaper (The good one) about the mean nasty Michigan State Trooper who shot and killed the poor defensless little doggie on the side of the freeway...

Not one mention in the paper of the fact that the dog was going for the trooper's throat at the time and it was kill or be killed time for the troop.. He had good reaction time,, Close to my own.. So the dog got the funeral.

But hey, who expects the truth to be published?

Personally.. I have no problems with pit bulls.. Less they get vicious.. I do not believe it is breeding some much as training.. Many people TRAIN dogs to attack anything that moves.. People who do that (With, of course, the exception of military) need to be put down. Their "Students" may be re-trainable, but the trainers need to be put down.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpadave View Post
That's where your mistaken. It is the nature of the beast. Something in a pitbull can snap at any time.!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Personally.. I have no problems with pit bulls.. Less they get vicious.. I do not believe it is breeding so much as training.. Many people TRAIN dogs to attack anything that moves.. People who do that (With, of course, the exception of military) need to be put down. Their "Students" may be re-trainable, but the trainers need to be put down.
I don't think you should have to train a dog not to kill. A lot of the people I see that own a Pit, have a chip on their shoulder and only have the dog for a status symbol and to impress their friends.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Let's get a little more educated:

The Truth About Pit Bulls
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote