Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #1

Basement A/C help

We have 2007 Tradewind 40D with the basement air. During hot summer days with high humidity their is no way for it to keep up. Us sun shades on the front and side windows which help. The wife has had it.

Took it to a local shop to have the roof vent taken out and an roof top AC added to help the basement AC. After looking at it he said he could not do it.

Looking recommendations. Thought about putting a window air unit in temporarily. Looked at remote AC's to sit in the front.
Sprint Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2020, 12:10 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
1. Make sure BOTH your basement compressors are running. Best way is to look at the amp draw. If it's about 17 amps only one is running, about 24 or so, both are running. I have a amp meter built into the coach, so it's was easy for me.
2. If only one is running and you have some kind of system that manages your amp draw, that system may be malfunctioning and shutting down the 2nd compressor. That happened to me and I was able to bypass the system and get both compressors running.
3. I have used a standing AC unit from Home Depot to supplement the AC's in my RV's. You need to tape the exhaust to one of your windows, plug it in and you got cool air! You can even drive down the road with this setup. A window unit won't work if you're moving.

Why did the tech say that the roof AC would not work?
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #3

It was a year ago. I believe it was getting 120 power to the unit. I am going to contact him again. They are a very good shop and have done work for me before.

He check the system last year and said it was working good. It will cool the bedroom and bath. You can feel cool air coming out of the ducts up front.

I have tried running the rear slides in so it had less cubic feet to cool and shutting off the rear vents forcing all the air to the front.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Though our 36' Dolphin has less space to cool than your 40' Tradewinds, we have found the basement unit easily keeps it cool even in Death Valley in May. I agree with other's comments about confirming your HVAC unit is working correctly with both compressors running. I assume your are on 50 Amp shore power or using your generator. I'm not sure about your Tradewinds regarding a power management system, but other National RV models like the Dolphins have a 2 position switch in the rear drivers side basement compartment, near the water tank drain valve in our case, that is not labeled. One position turns off one HVAC compressor off, the other position keeps both running. The reason for turning one compressor off is if only 30 Amp shore power is available, it allows power to run the single AC compressor for some cooling and some AC power for other items inside the RV.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:52 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
This is the "mystery switch" that this thread is talking about:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mystery_switch.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	294815  
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
This is the "mystery switch" that this thread is talking about:
i didn't post it but yes that is the two position switch, i have the same set up on my 2005 dolphin.
inbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Basement A/C help

Unfortunately these basement AC should have been 2 1/2 tons not 2. You need to camp in the shade and start getting that thing cold as you can early in the day and limit your in and outs. Just like the POS Norcold 1200 they donít cool very well unless you can keep the outdoor heat gains down to a minimum. The other thing is even if that switch is on 2 when it gets around 1 degree from set point it will drop off to 1 comp. get it cold early and you have a chance.
Put a fan in back and try pushing the air up front. It will help but donít let it satisfy the t-stat.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:06 AM   #8

Basement air

We have been putting a cage fan in the bedroom to push the air out and then a tower fan by the counter.
This is about the only thing we do not like about this motor home.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:23 AM   #9

i must have an exception, our's does a nice job and quiet, we do have double pane windows. on edit if we are parked for the day i do shut the overhead duct vents and direct the air up front.
inbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:33 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see also you have a 40í coach thatís working against you. The walls on these things are about 1 1/2Ē thick foam filled. Put out your awning to shade the side if you donít already do this. Itís a challenge.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:36 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Basement A/C help

I see also you have a 40í coach thatís working against you. The walls on these things are about 1 3/4Ē thick. Put out your awning to shade the side if you donít already do this. Keep your filters clean and free from obstructions.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:10 AM   #12

Ran into the same thing when I first bought my Dolphin as I bought it from a dealer who knew nothing about the aforementioned 30/50A switch. On 30A, there's no way it will keep up.

I assume you're connected to 50A service? We always make sure we choose a site with 50A if we're staying in a warm climate.

Once thing I'm not sure of myself is whether both compressors will kick in when running off generator. We never boondock, so I've never checked it out, but it would be nice to know.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:18 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Remember that basement air is really a residential AC - my nephew is a residential AC guy and he fixed up my sister basement air - so check into that (and if you are near Baton Rouge La, I can give him your number !)
Old 07-31-2020, 06:51 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
CamJam1, yes the 7000 watt Onan in your Dolphin will run the basement unit with both compressors running which uses 2950 watts and leaves about 4000 watts for other equipment.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote