Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Understand all about the KISS principle. My point was that, although I don't use it, the heat pump is sort of a joke on our rig. We use an "EdenPure" space heater in the bedroom and a small catalytic space heater in the living room when things get cold. The propane furnace units, although great to warm things up, make a lotto noise.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2007, 03:58 PM   #16

Mid Atlantic Campers
very hot this weekend camping, and we had DW's dad with us, so, the basement A/C got a work out and I can report IT WAS EXCELLENT. Cooled quickly, fairly quiet for RV air system, and really cooled the coach going down the road, I am so Happy I could just ! Compared to my last coach, this is heaven.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #17

Thanks for the replies folks...

I guess one of my main wonders/concerns was the noise factor compared to roof units as well as comparisons in efficiency (for those who have had both)..

As far as the noise in the bedroom, I assume that it wouldn't quite qualify for that "white noise type" that makes a lot of folks sleep better, huh??
Old 05-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #18

Mid Atlantic Campers
let DW purr in yer ear for sleep therapy

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2005 Dolphin and the heat pump is certainly not a joke. Mine works down to 38'F and will keep the coach as warm as you want.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also have a 2005 Dolphin and would expect that we have the same unit as you. Are you sure the heat pump is doing the work or is it the furnace kicking in after the heat pump gives up? Our manual clearly states that the heatpump will attempt to warm the place up but after 3 cycles back to the furnace the heatpump get locked out for 90 minutes. I'd really like to know what unit you have and if it's the same as mine, why mine doesn't work as good as yours.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376:
I also have a 2005 Dolphin and would expect that we have the same unit as you. Are you sure the heat pump is doing the work or is it the furnace kicking in after the heat pump gives up? Our manual clearly states that the heatpump will attempt to warm the place up but after 3 cycles back to the furnace the heatpump get locked out for 90 minutes. I'd really like to know what unit you have and if it's the same as mine, why mine doesn't work as good as yours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rick, this is why I mentioned to set the thermostat no more than 3-4 degrees above the "room" temperature. You will have to monitor the thermostate and keep increasing the "Set" temperature, but you will eliminate the cycling between the two units and eliminate the possibility of a "Lockout"

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's a good idea about adjusting the thermo that way but I don't want to be a hall monitor. We turn the furnace on long enough to warm the place up and then the EdenPure goes on. It's whisper quiet and cheap to operate. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #23

OK,so tell a new guy what to expect with a basement (or any unit). Out for a picnic today (our first trip, picked it up last night) and ran the gen and A/C whole time, including driving each way. Set the stat to 'cool', fan on 'Hi' and temp to 75. Outdoor temp was mid 90's. Coach was cooler than outside, but i doubt we got it lower than mid 80's inside. This is after 6 hours, ran it in morning so coach was not overheated at start, ran dash air at max on both legs of driving. Just thought it would get cooler. Not sure I want to camp in a weekend of 100+ in AZ.

Normal, or check the charge in the A/C?

Thanks,
Old 06-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jeff the temp should have held at 75 with the OAT in the 09's. First I would check the air filter, mine is under the bed, and I presume yours is located there. I have found ACE Hardware stores to be the best source for the 10X20X1 filters. The upgraded pleated items go for around $5.00. I am not a big fan of the chassis air; I prefer to run the gen and the central air, with a small fan circulating the air towards the front. I believe the typical test is to place a thermometer in the air outlet (I would use the bedroom) and the output temperature should be 15-20 degrees below the outside temp.

For what it's worth, we keep the vents and shower skylight plugged with foam cushions, goes a long way on improving both heating and cooling. When the temp is above 100 we use insulated material on all the windows, especially the front(When parked).

Hope this helps

Fred
Old 06-10-2007, 04:14 AM   #25

Thanks Fred. Without the dash air I would have cooked. Filter is new on basement AC (under bed). I'll get my thermometer out this afternoon and check temps with everything on full blast. May just need a charge to the system. Regardless, I like the basement AC. Ran quiet, cleans up the roof and I have plenty of storage as it is.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JKCTAZ:
Thanks Fred. Without the dash air I would have cooked. Filter is new on basement AC (under bed). I'll get my thermometer out this afternoon and check temps with everything on full blast. May just need a charge to the system. Regardless, I like the basement AC. Ran quiet, cleans up the roof and I have plenty of storage as it is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff I forgot to mention, make sure all the air outlets are open, National tecks have stated they must be open or the air flow is restricted.

Fred
Old 06-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jeff, I was running my AC this afternoon, the inside and outside air temp was 80º and the output air temp in the bedroom was 50º. It would appear the system is quite capable of putting out real cold air. I would have to go with your idea of having the unit serviced, possibly both compressors are not turning on. On that thought, did you check the 30/50amp power switch, being sure it's in the 50amp position?

Fred
Old 06-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 06 Tradewinds:
Jimmy,

We own a 2006 Tradewinds with the basement AC/Heat Pump unit. We really like it. We have now owned both (roof units and basement) and like the performance of the basement unit. For us, loss of the small basement space was not an issue. Frankly, the basement has more storage than we need. You are also able to switch the unit to operate on a single compressor if you have less than 50 amps available. Really no different than running one roof mount AC unit on less than 50 amps.

Bottom line... we like the set-up.

Safe travels.

Larry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
new owner of a 2008 Fleetwood 40X motorhome with Freightliner chassis 360 cummins .both wife and myself are retired and will start to do more rving with our puppies, Sheba and Pepper ,pictures to follow at later date.cheers Blake
Blake Sprague is offline   Reply With Quote