Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If all Dolphins or other National models are like my 2005 Dolphin there is a switch which selects one or both AC compressors. The switch is intended to allow only one compressor to run on a 30A service and both on a 50A service. If the switch is set for the 30A position only one compressor will operate and thus not provide max cooling. The switch on my Dolphin is located in the compartment with the 50A cord.

With both compressors operating my AC keeps the RV cool regardless of the outside temperature.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 06:26 PM   #30

Mid Atlantic Campers
I am so happy with our basement air, we just got back from a long hot drive. The AC kept my coach like a meat locker even traveling south bound, turned the dash air off and picked up 1/2 mpg

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:44 AM   #31

AHA! just re-read some of the latter responses regarding 30/50 A switch. There is a grey electrical box mounted to the bulkhead in the compartment with the shore power cord. Not labelled, but fairly heavy duty switch. Is this the 30/50 amp switch? What outlet or other test spot inside would be the easiest to determine which position is which since there is no label? Does this have any affect when on generator power, or does generator only output one level (hopefully 50 amps)?

Thanks,
Old 07-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #32

Mid Atlantic Campers
up 50, down 30.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, that is also the way my switch is wired (up when you have a 50A service, Down if only 30A is available). My switch was also not labled from the factory. Sort of makes you wonder how many National RV owners do not know about this switch.

Also, as previously pointed out, keep the AC air filter clean is important. When in Florida for the winter I find I need to clean or replace the filter monthly. Even with this schedule the filter is amazingly dirty. The good side of this is that all of this dirt/dust is not floating around inside the coach.

UltraPower ECM Program
Old 07-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #34

Mid Atlantic Campers
Joe, where are the filters located ?

Old 07-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The filter is located under the bed, which hinges up. There is a wood panel covering the filter area. On my Dolphin there are four screws holding the top panel in place. Remove these and remove the panel. There is than a small tab with a single screw which you may need to losen. Rotate the tab so that the filter can be lifted out. Be careful not to drop anything into the fan area as it would be hard to retreve it.

I find I can hose off the filter with water a few times before the filter gets so shabby it needs replacement. Any hardware store, Home Depot, or Lowe's has these filters (normal furnace filter).

Once you get the hang of it you can service the filter in about ten minutes.

I Actually moved the two rear screws holding the panel/cover forward so they are easier to get a screwdriver on.

Good luck.

UltraPower ECM Program
Old 07-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #36

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hmmmmmmm, thanks

Old 07-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow. A real wealth of knowledge in here. I know the "box" you speak of in the 50 amp compartment. I was told by the previous owner is was an additional switch to isolate the coach from all electrical sources (batts). Your 1 comp vs 2 comp discussion makes sense. I wonder why the box is labled On and Off. Seems to me that 30A and 50A would be more intuitive.

Full-timing by necessity. . . not choice.
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:38 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kernel:
Wow. A real wealth of knowledge in here. I know the "box" you speak of in the 50 amp compartment. I was told by the previous owner is was an additional switch to isolate the coach from all electrical sources (batts). Your 1 comp vs 2 comp discussion makes sense. I wonder why the box is labled On and Off. Seems to me that 30A and 50A would be more intuitive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it would be a good idea to label the two positions as 30A & 50A. I guess NRV sourced an easy to aquire electrical switch. Each compressor has it's own 115V supply, when the 50A "ON" position is selected the compressors work in tandum. You can download technical information from the RVP web site RVP Products (Coleman-Mach)

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:07 AM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you Fred & Bonnie for the RV Products link. I did not realize that they are the exclusive supplier for Coleman AC products. It may be good info should service be necessary. Also I'll download the data sheets.

UltraPower ECM Program
Old 07-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you folks know how to post pics on these forums, educate me and I can show you how I conquered the problem. Who gives the permissions?

Full-timing by necessity. . . not choice.
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote