Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #1

Good to see a National RV forum as it's a brand on my list under consideration/research for possible future purpose..

My first question for you guys would be the pros/cons of the basement a/c unit. I am looking at a Tradewinds brochure now that features this. Obviously losing a compartment but what about noise, efficiency, ect?

Thanks in advance folks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #2

Good to see a National RV forum as it's a brand on my list under consideration/research for possible future purpose..

My first question for you guys would be the pros/cons of the basement a/c unit. I am looking at a Tradewinds brochure now that features this. Obviously losing a compartment but what about noise, efficiency, ect?

Thanks in advance folks
Old 05-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Personnaly I couldn't tell ya Jimmy, I haven't used mine yet, I bought her last November, the heat pumps work great, and quieter then my previous rig. Take a look at the Winnie forum, many of them have basement air, and I know they love them.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #4

Jimmy,

We own a 2006 Tradewinds with the basement AC/Heat Pump unit. We really like it. We have now owned both (roof units and basement) and like the performance of the basement unit. For us, loss of the small basement space was not an issue. Frankly, the basement has more storage than we need. You are also able to switch the unit to operate on a single compressor if you have less than 50 amps available. Really no different than running one roof mount AC unit on less than 50 amps.

Bottom line... we like the set-up.

Safe travels.

Larry
Old 05-20-2007, 08:13 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldn't like to loose any basement space. But- The Idea of shifting 200-300 pounds off the top of a tall motorhome and placing it underneath, below the CG, seems to be a no brainer for improved handling and possibly quieter air movement. Not having to worry about tree branches or worse ruining an AC cover also would be nice. Hmmm also not having condensor water running off the roof might make keeping windows and coach cleaner looking and less leaky. Lower over all profile gets a plus from me.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:17 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Pros and Cons to both systems. My likes: quietier in the front, no condensation running off the coach, more clearance on top, better air filtration, LOVE the heat pump. Dislikes: more air flow noise in the bedroom, (would hate to run at night), not all that good on 30A power, if you lose the system you don't have the back-up of a second unit.

There is no perfect system, just likes and dislikes.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:44 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello all. I've got basement a/c and heat pump but from what I've read in the manual, the heat pump only operates if there's less than a two degree difference between ambient and desired temp. Am I reading something wrong here? We run our front propane heater in the morning to take the chill of but it's a noisy POS that you can't even listen to the radio over. I'm up for some instruction here.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #8

Yeah, know what you mean by noisy. We also take the chill off with a little Mr. Heater in the living room, fed by an LP tank outside. Hose comes in thru the lower slide gasket. Not as fast as the roaring furnace, but very quiet.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Our front heater is quiet, it's the rear thats noisey. Dosn't matter cause we only us it when showering, not sleeping. My heat pump works well down to about 40* outside.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just spent a few minutes with the manual for our basement a/c /heatpump.
Your results will vary. Do not try this at home. No user servicable parts inside. Not that I have that out of the way.
We have an AIRXCEL 2 stage heatpump a/c basement model.
Our heat pump is not designed to heat much. As typed from the owners manual.

Set point/ Indoor Temp
70/ 70+ No function occurs
/ 69 Heat pump turns on
/ 71 Heat Pump turns off
/ 69 Heat Pump turns on
/ 65 Gas Furnace turns on, heat pump off
71 Gas off (Thermo satisfied)
69 Heat pump on
Repeat this cycle until the third time when the heat pump is locked out for 1 hour 45 minutes, whch at that time the heat pump is enabled again.
My question, who the heck needs the heat pump if it can't raise the temp from 65 to 70 on its own?
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
did everyone follow that ? I would call the heat pump manufacturer and have a nice chat with them.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #12

Hi all!...Looking over this thread, I do not have a basement unit but have always used a small electric heater from W'mart as it is almost completely silent, warms up the entire coach and, best of all, burns campground electricity!

HTH, George~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ '05 Tropi-Cal T370LX pushed by a PT Cruiser GT
geozaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I folow the KISS principal, use the LP furnaces, bringing the temp to around 65 degrees, then switch to the heat pump keeping the temperature difference to 3 degrees. When the "set" temp reaches the "room" temp, I bump the "set" temp up another 3 degrees. This will eliminate the system swithing back and forth.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #14

In reading the pros and cons of the basement system there is one con that no one mentioned. If you need to have the system repaired you will will have additional cost as the system has to be lowered and removed to work on and then re-set. That causes additional labor costs.
JB Driver is offline   Reply With Quote