Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #1

Basement HVAC Questions

Does your belly HVAC have a real low and high setting? We used the RV for extra bedrooms this past weekend end and the heat ran with such force it kept us awake. All of us felt like we were in a wind tunnel! No one got a good night’s sleep. The RV is connected to 30 amp service and turned to correct setting for the one compressor. The unit warms and cools the RV perfectly but the force and wind sounds are disturbing. Anyone know how to turn down the force and/or do any of you have the same problem?

On the 3rd night we used electric blankets and a small space heater.

Thanks for any replies.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
When running heat pump (Heat Mode) the fan only runs on high.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
When running heat pump (Heat Mode) the fan only runs on high.

Fred
Fred, thank you for your reply. Is your unit this forceful? High is one thing but enough to wake everyone up seems a bit much.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sandi, in the bedroom it's a wind tunnel, on heat or A/C. I have been in other brands with basement HVAC systems and the air flow is less, so is the efficiency.

Just a thought, are you using pleated filters? If so they can cause a restriction, increasing the noise level.

Fred
Old 11-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
KIX

Could it have been the gas furnace running because the heat pump could not satisfy the t-stat? That would happen automatically when the heat pump failed to satisfy t-stat.

Also, there is no "setting for one compressor". The only thing you can do is turn off the #2 breaker.......maybe that's what you meant.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Also, there is no "setting for one compressor". The only thing you can do is turn off the #2 breaker.......maybe that's what you meant.
National RV placed an "On/Off" switch in a rear bay to run the basement HVAC system on one compressor for 30A service.

Fred
Old 12-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
We usually turn to the furnace and space heater for night time heating. The HVAC is right under the bed along with the return and is very loud.

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Sandi,

Good to see that you still have the Dolphin.

Have you tried 1) setting the thermostat to GAS Heat, 2) Fan to auto and 3) Fan speed to Low? The fan speed may automatically jump to high when the gas heat initially starts, I don't know for sure as I haven't done this (low fan speed setting).

To lessen the wind tunnel effect into the rear bedroom, I put a pool noodle (longitudinally sliced) attached to the sliding door of the bedroom and close it. This keeps the return air flow coming around the pool noodle (top & bottom).
I use this set-up with the AC on as well. I sleep on the side nearest the door and quickly realized I needed to do something to keep from being blown out of bed. I also redirected the ceiling vents to lessen the air flow on me.

We've also thought of using the MH as a guest room but haven't doe so yet. We WILL use it (I have been informed) as our refuge when the master bath gets a makeover next year.

I hope this helps.

JJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat cover.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	80326  
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
With the HVAC being located in the rear below the bed, it is heard much more in the bedroom and is very quiet in the rest of the RV. I sleep thru the sound it makes, my wife uses ear plugs. We did try a space heater with a fan and she found it annoying as well. We now may use and oil filled heater and electric blanket thru the night and turn on the HVAC heat pump just before getting up in the morning to really warm things up inside. As you probably know you have to set the thermostat 3 or 4 degrees above the room temperature so not let heating switch to the gas furnace mode, and keep setting the tempurature up in steps till the desired room temperture is reached. It is only done of coarse to save on using up LP gas when shore power is available.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Sandi, in the bedroom it's a wind tunnel, on heat or A/C. I have been in other brands with basement HVAC systems and the air flow is less, so is the efficiency.

Just a thought, are you using pleated filters? If so they can cause a restriction, increasing the noise level.

Fred
No pleated filters, we use the some that are blue woven and cut to fit the hole.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahiti16 View Post
We usually turn to the furnace and space heater for night time heating. The HVAC is right under the bed along with the return and is very loud.
I normally travel alone in the winter to the dog show/agility trials and get everything warm. turn the temp to around 60 with an electric blanket, But that was not an option with this freezing group I had for Thanksgiving!
Old 12-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
Sandi,

Good to see that you still have the Dolphin.

Have you tried 1) setting the thermostat to GAS Heat, 2) Fan to auto and 3) Fan speed to Low? The fan speed may automatically jump to high when the gas heat initially starts, I don't know for sure as I haven't done this (low fan speed setting).

To lessen the wind tunnel effect into the rear bedroom, I put a pool noodle (longitudinally sliced) attached to the sliding door of the bedroom and close it. This keeps the return air flow coming around the pool noodle (top & bottom).
I use this set-up with the AC on as well. I sleep on the side nearest the door and quickly realized I needed to do something to keep from being blown out of bed. I also redirected the ceiling vents to lessen the air flow on me.

We've also thought of using the MH as a guest room but haven't doe so yet. We WILL use it (I have been informed) as our refuge when the master bath gets a makeover next year.

I hope this helps.

JJ
Hi JJ, still have the Dolphin and love it!!! You and the wife need to stop by sometime.

I sleep in MY MH with my children. Never, ever would I let them have it alone!!!! When I'm not using the couch and table/bed there is no problem. I close the bath/kit door and do fine as the thermostat is in the same room as I am. I'll try just the gas heat if we have this situation again.

Question on the pool noodle...is it on the bed door or the kit/bath door? I leave a space around the door so not sure what the noodle does.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
With the HVAC being located in the rear below the bed, it is heard much more in the bedroom and is very quiet in the rest of the RV. I sleep thru the sound it makes, my wife uses ear plugs. We did try a space heater with a fan and she found it annoying as well. We now may use and oil filled heater and electric blanket thru the night and turn on the HVAC heat pump just before getting up in the morning to really warm things up inside. As you probably know you have to set the thermostat 3 or 4 degrees above the room temperature so not let heating switch to the gas furnace mode, and keep setting the tempurature up in steps till the desired room temperture is reached. It is only done of coarse to save on using up LP gas when shore power is available.
Thank you, I have never thought to the set the temp the 3-4 degrees above because I like to sleep cold or cool. In fact, I normally have the heat pretty low when it is just me and my two little dogs. The gas heat does come on in the morning to get the RV toasty warm. This would not be a good idea if we were long term in cold weather, for now once or twice a year fill-up on the propane keeps us warm.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Sandi,
In our 35' Dolphin we have only one sliding door between the "hall" and the bedroom. If I close it all the way there is still room at the bottom for return air but yhr noodle leaves about a 1/2" gap above & below it while at the same time reducing the wind tunnel effect.

JJ
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote