Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #1

Batteries

Takin a first trip dry camping in dophin 2006 to Shenandoah no for 4 days. You can only run generators 4 hours a day. How do you keep batteries charged, engine , generatorwith convertor, both engine and convertor or generator with extra. Charger. I do not know how many amps the converter sends to batteries
Almgsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
And they do have the generator 'police' who will come around to remind you to shut your generator off!

I always ran my genset for the full 4 hours and then 'supplemented' with my running engine (no restriction on that) if the batteries got low.

One time in Shenandoah the house battery died in the middle of the night with cold temps in April. I started the engine, turned on the dash heat, stayed awake for an hour, and then went back to bed when batteries had more juice.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:09 AM   #3

Never thought about no restriction on engine
Old 01-17-2017, 07:32 AM   #4

Well, I know it's tough in this day & age, but one way is by turning off most all the electrical loads and cooking with fire.
markbarendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First you need the right converter.. A good 3-stage unit with a capacity of 30-35% of the batteries C/20 rate.. (Will give some sample battery sizes)
Then economize.. Adding a solar panel or two may help as well.

Make sure you run every minute of those 4 hours, cheat a bit if you can

Group 24 (not recommended) 75 AH each
Groups 27 and 29 Just under/over 100 AH each (use 100 for estimate)
Group 31 130

GC-2 pairs (these are six volt so you need two in series) 220+/-10 (210,215,220,230 are the most common, Use 220 for estimate)

If you have multiple batteries in parallel, (Treat each pair of GC-2 as a single 12 volt.. Size 4D in case you want the equivalent 12 volt) add the capacities

Example Two Group 31 is 260 AH

Two pair of GC 2 440.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #6

How many amps does the converter out in battery, it is rated 1000 watts but him much goes to battery
Old 01-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
When we dry camp with our 05 Dolphin we run the gen set in the morning during breakfast for an hour and then for an hour or so in the evening before quiet time.

We don't generally watch TV much when dry camping, don't have satellite so TV selection is usually pretty slim.

Stereo is going all the time and the furnace is set. Make sure the fridge is on lp and that the plugs are plugged in correctly in the back, one is for the ice maker and is powered by the inverter. If the fridge is plugged in there the batteries lose a lot of time.

Speaking of the inverter it only runs the TV's and plug by the passenger seat in our units, so if you are not using any of those items turn the inverter off. It sucks power even if nothing is powered up.

If you have the full monitor panel for the inverter, we upgraded ours from the on off switch, then make sure when generator is running it is set to 50 amp. This allows the charger to run at max amps required for the stage it is at in the charging cycle. We have 3 stage charging in our units also.

Make sure the batteries are full of water and the connections are clean and tight.

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Google your converter model number and you can get a brochure on the stats for that particular converter. Change light bulbs to LED or at least a few of them... and use only the LED bulbs while dry camping. Try not to run any energy hogs (hair curler's, hair blowers) on the inverter. We've dry camped for 10 day periods many times and the four hours is plenty of generator charge time.
Home:760-519-7014, email: guess@tpguess.com
Tpguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almgsail View Post
Takin a first trip dry camping in dophin 2006 to Shenandoah no for 4 days. You can only run generators 4 hours a day. How do you keep batteries charged, engine , generatorwith convertor, both engine and convertor or generator with extra. Charger. I do not know how many amps the converter sends to batteries
4 hours should be ok however that will depend on how many batterys you have;; their condition;; and how much you use them
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:13 AM   #10

Question?

I have the 9245 converter it does charge the batteries but takes forever to get 100%.
I also have a CTEK MILTI 25000, which can charge at up to 25 amps, it is a 3 phase charger plus float. It charges both g27 batteries in less than 4 hours to 100%. I use it to bring the batteries to full charge before storing.

My question; should I continue to disconnect the batteries from the RV before charging? I have been concerned that having the converter in the circuit might cause damage to the converter.
What is the best practice?
Second I am considering, portable solar the question is the same when charging from solar.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:07 AM   #11

All charging sources will play well together.

You don't have to disconnect the other charging sources while charging but I would disconnect them for storage anyway. At least until you install some solar.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:34 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Install solar 2 -240 watt panels 4 good six volt batteries. A good charge controller, the right inverter and you won't have to run your generator, period. It is a nice feeling.

Tags
batteries