RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:53 PM   #1

Battery Charging

Howdy - I have a 2004 8341 Seabreeze.

I’ve searched the forums and have found various wiring diagrams but I just cannot find the specific one I need. I am looking for a wiring diagram that isolates the wiring specifically relates to charging the batteries.

My problem - the house batteries will not charge when the engine is running. The person who owned this coach before me is not mechanically inclined, But did remove the multiple wires from the batteries for storage reasons. I just don’t know if they were put back correctly.

I’ve found the relay that is supposed to switch charging to house batteries and it does appear to be working. But I need to know if the outbound wire is supposed to go to the house batteries or to the chassis battery as it does now.

Right now the more is one wire on each terminal of the two 6 volt house batteries.

Anyway - thank you for any help - I do have schematics, but I’d you’ve tried to read the complete wiring system it gets a bit confusing.

Five92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 07:57 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
I hope this helps.
The inverter/charger is supposed to charge the house batteries when ever shore power is present. Given that you've determined that the relay is working, the next step is to determine if the charger section of the inverter/charger is working.
Page 5 shows the circuit from the inverter/charger with one wire going to the negative / ground side of the house batteries and the other going through an "inverter fuse". if that is "burned out". or open the charger cannot supply voltage to charger the batteries.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12v120vpowersystem.pdf (706.9 KB, 3 views)

JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:06 PM   #3

Thanks

Iíll let you know what I find. Thank you for the diagrams and info.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:53 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should also download the troubleshooting guide from RV Custom Products.
https://rvcustomproducts.com/111979
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:09 AM   #5

Check the relay ( solenoid ) I circled.

Each large cable should show each battery's voltage. House on one side, chassis on the other.

If that checks out, the cables are OK.

Now see if 12 volts gets to the small terminals when the boost switch is held. If yes, both large terminals should read the same volts. That relay also works as the charging / isolation relay.

In most cases the internal contacts burn up in them and do not connect.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-08-02-08-03-13.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	295473
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #6

Possible found.

OK - First off - thank you for all the information - it has helped considerably.

My concern over the coach battery not charging may be all for nothing - since while reading all the material you have provided, I learned that the chassis battery must be at 13.2 volts before the circuit board sense relay will signal the relay to charge the coach batteries.

I cannot say for sure my chassis battery was at least 13.2 volts. I do know the alternator was putting out 14.2 volts, but I do not believe that is what the control board senses...

I'll have to recheck this on Wednesday - headed out to the coast for some fishing but not taking the coach.

Thanks again - I'm getting a pretty good understanding of how this control center is working - thanks to you all.

Tags
battery, charging