Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2020, 10:57 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Battery Disconnect Switch

Anyone ever have the Battery Disconnect Switch Light go out on their Tradewinds? Any thoughts/suggestions on replacing it? It is located just inside the entry door with all the other switches.

Mine was on until the Tech turned off the Battery switch to replace my Freedom 458 Inverter, then no light.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quite often it's the solenoid that is bad or stuck... Probably in a box behind the grill.
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:37 AM   #3

No light on the switch, but does the house battery powers things work ? Lights, fridge, water pump .....
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:56 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Yes everything is working under shore power except that light on the disconnect switch. Just had the inverter replaced, but it's only putting out 94v. and the inverter green light is blinking like it's searching for watt mode. I'm wondering if the Tech wired the new inverter wrong or is there something else that needs to be fixed.
We could smell the old inverter where it burnt one of the pc cards. This happened while at a RV park on New Years Day around 2:30 am when my TV flashed on then my fan stopped working.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe, I think it's a small neon light and does not burn out. Mine did the same thing.....turned out to be a burnt and broken wire just behind the panel. Remove the 4 panel screws and pull the panel out to take a look. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:58 PM   #6

If You have a MSW inverter, some volt meters will not read accurately. You need a " true RMS " volt meter.

Search mode will save battery capacity while using the inverter.
Rather then holding the voltage at 120 volts, it switchs off, saving power, and searches every few seconds for anything calling for power. If it senses something needing power, it switchs to full power.

The owners manual should have instructions to adjust the setting.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:30 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Joe, I think it's a small neon light and does not burn out. Mine did the same thing.....turned out to be a burnt and broken wire just behind the panel. Remove the 4 panel screws and pull the panel out to take a look. Rook
Thanks for the info, I'll pull the panel tomorrow and look for damaged wires. When I checked the wires the other day all I got was 32-34 volts.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:11 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Does your Inverter hum when it's charging the batteries. Is it loud?
Old 02-22-2020, 03:11 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Does the light next to the disconnect switch run on the batteries?
Old 02-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes when the switch is on
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Getting a little smarter. I checked the wires coming into the disconnect light on DC and it showed 14 which is correct. Now I have another question. If I shut off 50amp shore power, flip the discount battery switch to off and turn off the breakers at the Inverter why does my multimeter still read 14 on the wires to the light?
Old 02-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Getting a little smarter. I checked the wires coming into the disconnect light on DC and it showed 14 which is correct. Now I have another question. If I shut off 50amp shore power, flip the discount battery switch to off and turn off the breakers at the Inverter why does my multimeter still read 14 on the wires to the light?
Shore powers DC through the converter, so pulling shore power will still allow DC from the batteries. Turning off the inverter breakers shuts down 110 AC from the batteries, not 12 v DC.

Assuming your disconnect switch is a rocker type, that switch operates a solenoid which actually disconnects the DC to the coach. The switch sends a low amp current to the solenoid to activate it either ON or OFF. There must always be voltage at the switch for it to activate the solenoid. If the switch turned off all 12v power completely, including to itself, how could it possibly turn the power back ON? There would be no way to activate the solenoid to switch the battery power back ON.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
OK, thanks for the info.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:28 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
HELP!! I want to take the disconnect light switch out but need to get the power to it off. How do I do that??

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, switch