Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2016, 05:52 AM   #1

Battery / Power Questions

Hi All,

I have a 1996 Seabreeze 131. It has 2 x 6 volt batteries daisy chained for 12V under the step alongside the chassis battery.

They don't hold a charge and need replacing. Can anyone advise why 2 x 6v batteries were installed? Is there any reason not to replace them with one 12v battery? I can actually fit 2 x 12v easily because a previous owner installed a slide out battery tray in the locker to the right of the door so space isn't an issue.

As a 2nd question, the chassis battery has lost charge and is not recharging even though I've since connected shore power. Here in Europe shore power is 230v, it then goes through a step down transformer to get 110v. The next item in line is a 3 way switch, 1 position seems to power up the 110 circuit, 1 position is off and the 3rd seems to power up both the 110 and 12 volt circuits.

In the locker to the left of the door is a large black unit, any label has long since gone but this seems to be the 110v to 12v control unit (it hums when 12v is on). Does this also charge the batteries?

Finally just where in the RV do I find the battery charge indicator or is there one?

Thanks in advance.
RV Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

2, 6 volt batteries will have more capacity than a single 12 volt and depending on the batteries maybe even more than 2 , 12 volts.

Because your RV has been converted to accept European power source , the box in question , may be a step down transformer 230V > 120V , and most members will have never seen this unit, but if you could post a picture , we may be able to help.
Your coach may not be equipped with battery charge indicators , or be set up to charge the chassis battery while on shore power.

Answers to your battery questions will be answered at this site.
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1).
Old 11-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

Because your RV has been converted to accept European power source , the box in question , may be a step down transformer 230V > 120V , and most members will have never seen this unit, but if you could post a picture , we may be able to help.
Thanks for the input, I'll just go for direct replacements of the 2 6V batteries in that case. The link seems good too!

The humming black box looks original equipment and is not the step down, that's on the other side near the gennie. I'll post pics after the weekend of it and a couple of other gizmo's that have me puzzled.

This is our 2nd US RV and your reply explains an issue I had with the last one, I fitted a "yellow brick" step down to it, this dropped our 230v to 100-110v (used in construction sites here to power lower voltage power tools). I had thought US voltage was 110 so 100 was near enough but the fridge never worked right on shore power so maybe being 20% out was too much?

Previous owners fitted loads of extra's ..... wind gennie, solar panel (no longer there but the controller is etc, etc. Result is a rats nest of wiring in the battery compartment.

Maybe easier to just disconnect all the "extra's a reconnect them as and when I figure out what goes where.

Finally you might be right about no shore / charge facility ........ the previous Irish owner left 2 trickle chargers in a locker.

Thanks again!
Old 11-07-2016, 04:50 AM   #4

Hi,

I've sourced direct European replacements for the 2 x 6v batteries so that's one problem sorted.

The 2 pics are (1) the black box in the locker, it does have a label but upside down and with only a couple of inches clearance so useless and (2) an ammeter on the side wall to the right of the entry door (as you enter the door). It has a 3 position switch but nothing happens, regardless of switch position.

Am assuming the black box is the 12v controller but just what is the meter?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0127.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	143741   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0128.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	143742  

Old 11-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #5

The label on the box , the big print reads ; Converter Charger 50 AMP; That box charges the batteries and supplies your 12 volt interior power, when you're plugged in to shore power.

The switch and meter are a mystery , judging by the size of the cables going in to that box , I'd guess that it's some kind of transfer switch for the gen set power or shore power. The switch and meter , look like add on , not factory.
Can you track the two heavy cables to their source, or with all power disconnected from the RV , remove the cover and take a picture of the inside ?
Old 11-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #6

God bless your eyesight .... just been out for another look and can't get near enough with my reading glasses and am too near for the driving ones to be any use..... the joys of aging!

Anyway that's that sorted, I'd guessed that was what it was, batteries aren't holding anything like a decent charge but I think it's them at fault.

Will try to trace those heavy wires and take another pic when I get a chance, but it won't be for a day or 2 (family illness and hospital visiting).
Old 11-09-2016, 09:23 AM   #7

Charge and test the batteries out of the coach , to be sure .
There may be a circuit breaker or fuses somewhere on the Converter Charger , that has tripped or blown , too.
Hospital Visits ; been there WAY too often .
Circuit breaker could be just visible as a white push button , as the picture below.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2016, 03:39 AM   #8

Thanks for your input. The thick wires are in fact weather proof trunking. On checking they emerge in the "power" locker and the cables are not too big and have multiway connectors that go nowhere.

Obviously some extra fitted then removed so we can forget about it for now.

Beginning to make progress but a sick 93 year old mother is distracting us from our RV project ....

I'll no doubt be on again with more stupid questions but for now thanks for the help.

Keep well over that side of the pond!

Tags
battery, power