RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:35 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Battery Supply Issues - Going Nuts

When disconnected from shore power and operating on house batteries, after about 5 minutes my motorhome goes dark with minimal load. Meaning I have no 12 volt supply and my inverter turns off. My coach battery bank of 4-6Volt batteries are approximately 2 years old. I am showing the voltage of the bank is 12.6 Volts.

My motorhome is a 2006 National Tropical T350 with the Freightliner chassis. My inverter charger is a Trace Engineering Legend Series L1512 with a RC-9 control panel, RV Custom Products Battery Control Center.

I have replaced the boost solonoid and jumpered the battery disconnect box on the BCC to eliminate these as the problem. I have verified the the large fuses in the coach battery compartment and the chassis battery compartment are good. I have also tried disconnecting both the remote temperature and remote panel connections on the front of the inverter/charger.

It appears to me the house battery cable that terminates on the booster solonoid is not a straight path to my battery bank? Can the inverter/charger shut off all 12 Volt house battery supply power to the coach? When in charging mode, I do not get the same voltage at the chassis and coach battery bank. Here are my questions:

- I believe I have 2 wire feeds coming from my house battery bank. Do both of these feeds go to the inverter/charger?
- Why do I NOT get voltage at the J3 post on the BCC if this is connected directly to my house battery bank?
- Can the inverter/Charger cut off all 12 Volt coach battery supply?
- How do I eliminate the inverter/charger as the problem? I believe the internal transfer switch in the inverter charger turns everything off.
- If the inverter/charger is the issue, can I repair it? What would be a budget replacement if need be.
biggerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I will answer the qiestions I know about and ask a couple of my own. Hope this helps you to narrow the problem down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerboat View Post
Here are my questions:

- I believe I have 2 wire feeds coming from my house battery bank. Do both of these feeds go to the inverter/charger?
No. One goes to the inverter charger to be converted to 120v AC and one goes directly to the 12v items in the coach. DO the 12v (usually lights and pump) go off at the same time as the 120v AC outlets?

- Why do I NOT get voltage at the J3 post on the BCC if this is connected directly to my house battery bank?
- Can the inverter/Charger cut off all 12 Volt coach battery supply?
If I understand the question no, the inverter has nothing to do with the 12v, only the 120v AC.

Those large fuses you saw: There should be 4 fuses or breakers from the batteries. 2 for the inverter and 2 for the 12v power to the coach. Isolate all of them and test for continuity. Also check the bases of the fuse bars to see if they are cracked or broken. This has happened to me. The current to the inverter tested 12v but, due to a crack, would only pass enough current show 12v on the meter. We needed to check the power draw to see that current was not going through.

- How do I eliminate the inverter/charger as the problem? I believe the internal transfer switch in the inverter charger turns everything off.
- If the inverter/charger is the issue, can I repair it? What would be a budget replacement if need be.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
THANK YOU Kahoona! I had 2 fuse bases that were cracked. Like you said both sides of the connections looked fine with a voltage meter under no load. When I started wiggling the connections is when I found the issue.
biggerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerboat View Post
THANK YOU Kahoona! I had 2 fuse bases that were cracked. Like you said both sides of the connections looked fine with a voltage meter under no load. When I started wiggling the connections is when I found the issue.

You are welcome. That has to be a common problem. It happened to me and after I gave up I had a tech come in who had me replace the Inverter twice and spent days trying to figure it out. When he finally tried a load meter it was obvious.

Happy motoring!
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery