Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2017, 06:49 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Battery use?

Hi All!
I'm tinkering with the new-to-us 2003 Sea Breeze and I came up with yet another question that I couldn't find a reasonable answer to with a quick search online...
With all the ads about "Smart" battery tenders I see in camping world, and other RV equipment stores am I safe in assuming it's NOT okay to leave the RV plugged in for days on end without cooking the coach batteries?
I have a light on inside and the fridge is running so the batteries are powering something but is the built-in converter smart enough to know when to trickle charge and when to charge harder?
I don't want to destroy the two 6 volt golf cart batteries.

TIA!
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 06:56 AM   #2

The answer is yes if the inverter had a charge function it should be able to throttle back to a trickle as needed. If you know what model inverter you have look up the mAnual online to get a definitive answer
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:58 AM   #3

No you can leave it plugged in indefinitely. I asked that same question a couple weeks ago
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I'm looking through all the original papers from the original owners (they kept everything!) to see if I can find a model of the charger so I can look deeper into this...

Thanks for your help!
I guess if I keep an eye on the water levels in the batteries and keep them topped off with distilled water I should be okay?
Where the heck does one buy distilled water anyway?
Old 05-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
You can purchase distiller water at the grocery store. You should check water level monthly and you will be ok.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #6

The answer is "it depends". If you have a smart charging system it most likely has a control panel on the unit and/or mounted on a wall somewhere so you can monitor it and change settings. If all you have is some idiot lights they don't tell you much because you have a dumb controller that does not do much. One of the things it does not do is drop the voltage to a lower level to do maintenance charging. In that case pull the plug.

FWIW I check mine more or less monthly and pull the plug for a couple of weeks at a time. I do keep it plugged in during really cold weather. I don't do much in summer because we use the unit often enough. The exception is to plug it in to cool the refer a day before we load up fresh food.

One can get a good enough indication of the charge state with a Digital Volt Meter to know when to plug in. A hydrometer is more accurate but as I said, volts are good enough for whether to charge or not.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:27 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I have the typical idiot light set-up in the same unit as the water and waste levels.
Is there such thing as an honest gauge that can be installed that will show the state of the batteries?
I had a cheap digital one a few years back that only plugged into the 12v socket like a cigarette lighter but I never really felt it was of much quality.
I know the full timers and dry campers would need to know exactly what kind of shape their batteries were in at all times.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Don't forget the generator

For best generator health (and fewer expensive repair costs) it is best that you run the generator UNDER LOAD for about a half hour every month. During warm/hot days I operate the HVAC, for cold days I run the HVAC fan on manual-on and have a pair of halogen work lights to provide additional electrical load.

I know this is an adjacent topic but, as a new MH owner, it is something of which you need be aware.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The answer is "it depends". If you have a smart charging system it most likely has a control panel on the unit and/or mounted on a wall somewhere so you can monitor it and change settings. If all you have is some idiot lights they don't tell you much because you have a dumb controller that does not do much. One of the things it does not do is drop the voltage to a lower level to do maintenance charging. In that case pull the plug.

FWIW I check mine more or less monthly and pull the plug for a couple of weeks at a time. I do keep it plugged in during really cold weather. I don't do much in summer because we use the unit often enough. The exception is to plug it in to cool the refer a day before we load up fresh food.

One can get a good enough indication of the charge state with a Digital Volt Meter to know when to plug in. A hydrometer is more accurate but as I said, volts are good enough for whether to charge or not.
That's what I do.

You can get a cheap digital multimeter at Harbor Freight that will work for checking battery voltage. I've even picked up a few there that were free with the purchase of another item using a coupon. There are many other places to buy them, but it is difficult to beat "free".

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:47 AM   #10

I'm a fan of the cheap HF meters for tool box use. I have checked a few against much better quality meters and found them reasonable. For a more constant monitor I am thinking of adding something like this:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/575

That is the base meter that a lot of the sub $20 products use where they add a molded bezel with screw hole mounts. Search for 12 V panel meter and you will get a lot of hits. The nice thing is that they power off the same wire pair as what one is measuring. They won't go to zero but your battery should not be there either!
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery