Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #1

Bedroom slide doesn't stop on retract, grinds

Good day, everyone,

Question regarding the bedroom slide on my unit... When retracting the slideout, once it reached the full in position, it makes a grinding sound until you stop pushing the button.

It is almost like whatever is supposed to signal the system to stop once retracted isn't working. The slideout seems to work fine otherwise, stays in once in. However I am sure that grinding is not something that we want to continue. ;-)

Any ideas?

Tony
TABA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I'm not sure if the 05 Dolphin used the same bedroom slide motor/gear mechanism or not but I had grinding gear problems with mine. On the 05 Dolphin there was no circuit or device to stop power to the slide motor, only releasing your finger from the slide button once you heard or saw the slide was in. If the button is held a bit too long this could put a lot of stress on the gear mechanism. Visually checking mine I saw there was a brass gear that was damaged , that is, gear teeth broken off. Also, the pin thru the gear/shaft would some times break. If it did, you could hear the motor turning but the slide wouldn't move. I replaced the brass gear a couple of times with an identical gear but made of steal. Teeth also broke of it.The stress on the mechanism also caused a lot of wear on a couple of bushings, one even fell out in pieces. Our slide is on rollers and I could move it by pushing on it so it wasn't that it was binding. I went back to using the stock brass gear but wired position switches and located on our slide mechanism, under the bed, and connected then in series with the panel bedroom slide switch. I adjusted the 2 position switches to stop the slide motor at each end of the slide's travel. I did this last year , ok so far, but time will tell.
If yours is different, please dis-regard this . LOL..

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #3

Good info, Gregory. Thank you! The rig is at the glass shop right now to have some double-paned windows fixed. When it gets back I will take a look and see exactly what I got. Where did you get the gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
I'm not sure if the 05 Dolphin used the same bedroom slide motor/gear mechanism or not but
Old 04-15-2016, 07:48 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The pictures from the 05 Dolphin looks like a RBW slide system. Your 07 should have a Powergear system. National used both systems for a few years.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
It's a Martin gear W 1220 or WB 1220 for brass one. The one I got had a 1/2" bore and I had to drill it out to 5/8".
https://www.motioncanada.ca/productD...p?sku=00367424
or in Steal:
http://www.amazon.com/Martin-W1220-1...ct_top?ie=UTF8
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #6

Finally got the rig back from the glass shop yesterday and got to have a close look. It is pretty obvious what the problem is - see attached pic. That kind of crack certainly would be a problem. :-(

The problem now is finding the replacement part. It is a Power Gear 524793.

Thus far, not having any luck finding one, even on eBay. Still searching though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-27_173012.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	125445  
Old 04-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I found this but it is $$$$$.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461813969.646377.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	125468
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:29 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TABA View Post
The problem now is finding the replacement part. It is a Power Gear 524793.Thus far, not having any luck finding one, even on eBay. Still searching though.
In all likelihood you won't find one in stock anywhere. Power Gear makes replacement motors per order. They don't keep any in stock. You most likely will have to order one through a Power Gear authorized RV supply store. I went through this when I had to replace my dinette slide motor. Took several weeks to get it. Glad I wasn't on the road when it went bad. They are very expensive.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #9

Thank you all very much. I'll make some calls to that company and some local dealers and see what I can find. I also found this company on the web:

Replacement parts for RV Slide-Outs for Sale

They have a number of motors that look identical - just not sure if they would work. I sent them an email to see.

In the meantime, I am going to talk to a welder buddy of mine and see if he can put a couple tack welds on the casing to hold it together until I find / can get a replacement.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe you can have your welder friend make some sort of steel box (3/16") that will fit tight around/over the broken part after it is brought back into it normal shape.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide