Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2021, 07:48 PM   #1

Bedroom Slide Leak

Had some discussions in another thread about water leaking into my bedroom slide. Decided I should start my own thread rather than continue hijacking that one.

I had a little spot of water on the carpet at the front of the slide after a recent rain (slide closed at time) and GREGORYJ has given me some ideas on what that might be. We're expecting rain over the new couple days here so hopefully I'll be able to see where it's getting in.

I do have what I think is a separate leak that has caused a slight amount of wood swelling under the fiberglass on the outside of the slide (see photo). Can't be sure yet, but I think I can see where that it's coming in above the frame work at the bottom of the slide. The caulking there has cracked and I see a gap. I suspect it's getting in there and wicking up into the wood. I don't see any evidence that it's crept to the inside. The metal frame is not rusted, at least not that I can see from under the bed.

It looks like that bottom part of the frame around the outside of the slide can be removed by taking the screws out at bottom of the slide, does that sound right?

Not sure how to go about fixing where the wood has swelled once the leak is fixed. Any ideas?? Since it's still minor I wondered if body filler and repainting might work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210212_164203279_HDR.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	317940  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2021, 08:27 PM   #2

Assuming it is plywood under a fiberglass skin, one idea I had for fixing the surface bubbling on the exterior of the slide is to remove the frame, remove the rotted wood with a pick or angle grinder and replace the wood with some wood epoxy. I've seen some stuff on a display at my local paint store for repairing dry rotted wood and it looks amazing. Not sure if the fiberglass would flatten out again if it were clamped until the epoxy dried?
Old 02-12-2021, 08:34 PM   #3

Search YouTube for “fix rv delamination” and you’ll get a ton of things that come up. Essentially you have to glue and press it all back together with epoxy.

There are lots of great videos showing the steps people have taken to fix delaminations along with the material they have used.
cashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmore View Post
Search YouTube for “fix rv delamination” and you’ll get a ton of things that come up. Essentially you have to glue and press it all back together with epoxy.

There are lots of great videos showing the steps people have taken to fix delaminations along with the material they have used.
Thanks... I check them out. I guess I was thinking most RV delamination were with foamcore sidewalls, but perhaps I was jumping to conclusions,
Old 02-12-2021, 09:13 PM   #5

It really doesn’t matter what the wall makeup is, the issue is the Luan or plywood that is typically used as the backer to the fiberglass skin. The wood acts like a wic and sucks up any water that can find it’s way in and when it starts to rot the fiberglass that’s bonded to it starts to come off (delaminate) as well as the plywood starts to come apart causing the bubbles you see.

Good luck on your search!
cashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:07 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
The one issue you have with the side wall is common among older national coaches, they often seem to swell around the bottom of the fiberglass where it meets the transition to the bay doors. And at the bottom of the slide walls like yours. Its nothing to worry too much about as long as it stays solid and doesn't loosen, and if course make sure your seals are kept in good condition. Both Nationals I've owned have done this to some degree. Even with no obvious leaks and good seals.

Tags
leak, slide