Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bedroom Slide Shear Pin Replacement

I know many of you have replaced the shear pin for the gear on the bedroom slide. I am having trouble getting the old pin out on my 2003 Seabreeze LX 3841. With the rail right on top of the gear you are really working blind. I've used my phone camera to try to line up the holes, but I'm not getting anywhere. Plus there isn't much swinging room. If I could remove the rail, I would have clear access.
So, I'm wondering if anyone has some insight to make this job a little easier. Am I missing something here?
BTW, looking at the picture, it looks more like a roll pin rather that a shear pin.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140705_123304.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	66960  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The coiled roll pin is what Powergear and RBW have selected as up graded pins over the standard split roll pin.
You may need to rig up a clamp to press the old pin out.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I'm not sure how your MH is set up but on mine (Dolphin) I can sit on the floor with my back to the closet and my feet on the bathroom wall and push the slide out. This will give me extra room to work and remove/install the pin. Also make sure your punch is the correct size and not hitting the shaft or too small and spreading the pin open in the shaft hole.
One time when removing my pin I couldn't get the pin out for some reason, so I rotated it 180 and it came right out. Don't know why.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Update. I got the old pin out. I used a bigger punch (1/4) and rotated the shaft 180 degrees. The cell phone camera was a HUGE help to be able to see when things were lined up. I put a 1/4 inch bolt and nut in there to get me home. Now I will try to find a new pin. My slide moves very easily, so I think what contributed to the problem is the rubber stops that are pretty much nonexistent. This causes the slide to try to go a little beyond where it should and stresses the pin a little bit each time. I will try to replace those as well.

Happy Camping
Old 07-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I had this problem as well, pin broke. The original was a 1/4"coil pin, so was stronger than a 1/4" roll pin, but still broke. I decided to always use a bolt and nut. After returning home replace it with a grade 8 1/4" bolt (Allen head) and lock nut. With no pin I could move the slide by hand so it appeared nothing was binding and confirmed the rear slide was on rollers.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement, slide