Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-03-2021, 09:26 PM   #1

Been putting the Dolphin to good use

Just returned home from a Thanksgiving trip to the SF Bay area to visit my daughter for Thanksgiving. Added up this year's trips and we've spent almost three months total on the road in the Dolphin (Workhorse) this year. Had 13k miles when I bought her in March 2019, and we're just about to turn 26k miles now.

Only minor problems to report. Wiper connector needed to be waterproofed to keep the wipers from shutting off in heavy rain. Had to repair the shore power cable as the wires had come loose inside the plug. Only major repair was replacing the dash a/c compressor last year. Thought I had a radiator leak on this trip but it turned out to be just a loose hose clamp.

Spent close to four thousand $ adding suspension goodies over the last couple years , but every time I drive it now I'm reminded how it was money well spent. Trucks on the interstate don't phase me in the slightest any longer, and driving is a one-handed affair in all but the windiest conditions.

This is our fourth motorhome since buying our first in 1992. The Dolphin is by far our favorite.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2021, 10:28 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Just tucked our '05 into its winter cover. It looks like a tan, iced loaf in the back yard. I put a layer of heavy duty (.6mil) plastic on the roof before covering it to protect the roof seams from water. The plan is to drive it to Murphy NC in the spring when we attend workshops at John C Campbell Folk School.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:16 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Looks like we are on a similar journey Camjam1. We bought ours in 2018, and the past 2 years have been out 75 and 80 days respectively. I "retire" this Dec 31, and next year we already have over 100 days planned and reserved. Like you, we've spent over $4k on the suspension, but now it handles great, and rides better. Still jarring over bad roads, but no more wandering and getting pushed by semis and DPs. Even though we've had to replace a lot of things (transfer switch, fridge, main control board, microwave) it had 70,000 miles on it when we bought it, and everything was pretty much original (Ford F53, V-10). We love the SeaBreeze, and are at 107,000 miles now. It's our first and last class A.

Al
Old 12-04-2021, 07:07 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where did you camp....the place in Pacifica, CA ?
Old 12-04-2021, 07:12 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
This thread reeealllllyyy needs pictures.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Where did you camp....the place in Pacifica, CA ?
A new county RV park called Dumbarton Quarry campground. Just opened end of August. A real treat, and full hookups too. It's in Fremont, on the bay at the entrance to the Dumbarton Bridge. Will post some photos tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #7

I called Dumbarton Quarry Campground a county park, but it's actually a Regional Park. The site was a rock quarry that sits on the south eastern edge of San Francisco Bay, next to the Dumbarton Bridge They've been filling the quarry in for many years and have now built a full-hookup campground on the site. Here's more information:

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article...t-16414892.php

Though it's quite close to downtown Fremont and the freeways, it's feels very rural, with only occasional road noise when the wind blows in the wrong direction.

The photos don't really do it justice. The hills in the background of my photo overlook San Francisco Bay-- it's a short but steep walk to a great view at the top-- and the campground borders the Coyote Hills Regional Park, which has miles of hiking trails. Great dog walking and mountain biking. There isn't much shade in the campground yet as the trees are new, but this time of year that was more of a blessing. The aerial views in the SF Gate article make it look worse than it is. One of the on-line reviews I read said that it was windy and there was no privacy, but that was not our experience at all.

The park just opened end of August, so is largely undiscovered by the RV community. Only a third of the 63 sites were full during the week of Thanksgiving, but I doubt we'll be so lucky in future years as this place is a gem and one of the few RV parks in the Bay area.

There's a Safeway, Starbucks, restaurants and several gas stations about 2 miles away. We made a daily commute to visit my daughter in Oakland-- about 30 minutes away when traffic was light-- but the 880 freeway was clogged on about 1/2 the days, so 45-50 minutes was more typical during the week.

The gates lock at 10 p.m. and reopen the next morning. There is a one-way exit if you need to make emergency exit in the middle of the night. We booked for fours days but ended up staying six, and park rangers were very accommodating in letting us stay at our same site even though Reserve America showed it as already being booked for the last two nights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211123_150436.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	439.6 KB
ID:	350655   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211129_095408.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	350656  

Tags
dolphin