Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #1

black tank question

I have a 2000 36" National Dolphin. I need some info on flushing the black tank. The manual says "A pipe built into the black water holding tank that is connected to a source of pressurized water via a hose that is used to help flush solids from the holding tank at a dump site. If using a black water tank flush system in a campsite, the use of a back-flow preventer on the end of the hose to prevent sewage from flowing into the potable water system is recommended." I don't understand why a back flow preventor would be necessary as they are two separate systems, one hose for fresh water fill and one for flushing. The only reason I could think of is is you would use hose for both uses. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Doug
boeingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The way I understand this is that the back-flow preventer keeps back-flow from the CAMPGROUND water supply if you have the hose connected to the water faucet at your campsite.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeingair View Post
I have a 2000 36" National Dolphin. I need some info on flushing the black tank. The manual says "A pipe built into the black water holding tank that is connected to a source of pressurized water via a hose that is used to help flush solids from the holding tank at a dump site. If using a black water tank flush system in a campsite, the use of a back-flow preventer on the end of the hose to prevent sewage from flowing into the potable water system is recommended." I don't understand why a back flow preventor would be necessary as they are two separate systems, one hose for fresh water fill and one for flushing. The only reason I could think of is is you would use hose for both uses. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Doug
Hi, Doug. Wow, you have a 36" Dolphin! And I thought my 33' Dolphin was a bit small (sorry, could not resist!).

I use a sanitary hose for the fresh water/city connection. I use a "dirty" hose to connect to the black tank flush, and to rinse the slinky, etc. I keep the hoses separated from each other during storage. My Dolphin has the back-flow valves built in behind the wet bay panel, so check yours to be sure what is actually there. Hope this helps!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have the Swan Sani-T-Flush it has vacuum breaker (backflow preventer, anti-siphon) in the system to prevent backflow of sewage into the water system. Maybe some other systems don't have the vacuum breaker the reason for the warning. Below is a link to Swans wed site. Attached is the manual for the flushing system.

WELCOME TO SWAN INDUSTRIES, INC. - Swan Industries, Inc.

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2013-SFS-Manual.pdf (559.1 KB, 25 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanTee View Post
The way I understand this is that the back-flow preventer keeps back-flow from the CAMPGROUND water supply if you have the hose connected to the water faucet at your campsite.
TinCanTee
Correct
A vacuum breaker, (aka: back-flow preventer ), is used to prevent anyone from contaminating the CAMPGROUND water supply.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank