Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #1

Black tank sensor location

My black tank reads 2/3 whether full or empty. I filled it and put in a box of Rid-X a week ago and will drain and flush it tomorrow.

If that doesn't work, where are the black tank sensors located? I may have a wiring problem. The panels in the wet bay are sealed with black silicone seal and I don't want to take any off that don't need to be in looking for the sensors.

Also, the fresh tank reads 2/3 when it is full. The grey does show empty when it is. Not sure about when it is full. I know they are notoriously incorrect, but this is extremely incorrect.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can remove your water service panel and take a look. Water service panel is held on with 6/9 screws only takes a few.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Have you re calibrated the control panel? Some have small holes above each switch to adjust with a small screwdriver. Others have an "E" & "F" button, when the tank is empty, press the "E" when it is full, press "F" and the system will be calibrated.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #4

I'll take a look tomorrow, Richard. If I remember right, there is the main panel and two small side panels. Can't look right now as it is up against a wall on the side of my house. I'm gonna try the left panel first as that is the same side the black dump valve is on. Probably wrong though.

I pulled the display panel off last week and did not see any kind of adjustment like I've read about before. The grey appears to be working. It now shows 1/3 after washing my hands several/many times.

Thx guys.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I personally would not worry too much about the inaccurate sensor readings. My black tank quite often does the same as yours. It's something I've learned to live with. I know I can go about four days before my black tank is full so I empty it every three to four days when parked at a park for an extended period. Otherwise, I dump the black tank every travel day. The grey tank sometimes does not read empty when I know it is. Soap suds can affect the sensors.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not sure of your floor plan but I have a Dolphin as well:

ON my Dolphin the sensors are located on the tank directly below the toilet. They are on the passenger side of the MH. There is a panel in the basement compartment right under the toilet. If you remove that plastic panel you can see the tank and the sensors.

In order to clean mine I have a wand that puts our high pressure. You can get these at Rv supply places, mine was from Camping World. I just run it down the toilet and make sure it turns to the left toward the outside wall and move it back and forth. It cleans the sensors completely. Mine work just fine and have been for ten years.

I flush my tank with the wand about twice a year.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennersonf View Post
I personally would not worry too much about the inaccurate sensor readings. My black tank quite often does the same as yours. It's something I've learned to live with. I know I can go about four days before my black tank is full so I empty it every three to four days when parked at a park for an extended period. Otherwise, I dump the black tank every travel day. The grey tank sometimes does not read empty when I know it is. Soap suds can affect the sensors.
The only time I filled the black tank on anything was when I didn't get it all dumped out before the last trip. My 5er sat higher in the front when parked and drained fine. Now, when I dump, I jack up the front of the MH and get ~5 more gallons out. I can always look down the toilet to see how full it is. When I camp, it is only for 3-4 days... by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
I'm not sure of your floor plan but I have a Dolphin as well:

ON my Dolphin the sensors are located on the tank directly below the toilet. They are on the passenger side of the MH. There is a panel in the basement compartment right under the toilet. If you remove that plastic panel you can see the tank and the sensors.

In order to clean mine I have a wand that puts our high pressure. You can get these at Rv supply places, mine was from Camping World. I just run it down the toilet and make sure it turns to the left toward the outside wall and move it back and forth. It cleans the sensors completely. Mine work just fine and have been for ten years.

I flush my tank with the wand about twice a year.
My toilet is on the driver's side. Does that make a difference? I made a wand out of PVC with an end cap and a 3/16" - 90° hole on one side. Shut off valve on a 90 at the top. It'll probably spray a good 20' with house water pressure. I sprayed the inside of the tank in a 360 before I used the Rid-X; didn't help. I also don't know how long it sat at the dealers or how the previous owner maintained the tanks.

Thx for the tips. Will know more tomorrow morning.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:44 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The different location of the toilet possibly makes all the difference in the world. Sorry I could not be of more assitance.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #9

Makes sense where it would be located. Thx, I'll look there.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know if this will help as my Dolphin is older. My water tank is under the bed and the sensors are accessable there. My toilet is also on drivers side and the b/g tanks are accessable from the water bay. This is the only way I can see to gain access.

I have a large panel that both the B and G drain pipes goes through. On that panel is another small panel which is easy to remove, just haven't done it yet. No doubt though the sensors would be accessable there. I'm hoping the the small panel will do it, as the large panel looks to be a PITA to get off. Good luck!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #11

My thought exactly. Looks like a lot of stuff has to come off to get the main panel off. Gonna try the small panel(s) shortly.

There's noting under my bed but wood, even below the false panel.

BTW, John, if you slide your bed towards the foot, is there a trap door near the head of the bed? It goes most of the way across and is about 18" wide/deep and hinged.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #12

I'll ask again. How soon after dumping a tank should the reading change? Does the sensor have to dry out or just not be submerged anymore?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
When I use my Tank Flush System it takes one to two mins. for the sensors to read correctly.

Dick
Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #14

The toilet sits directly over the duallies and there is a large cover in the electrical bay that can be removed. The small ones in the wet bay appear to be too far outward to be access to the black tank. Maybe; we'll see.

Tags
tank