Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #1

Brake controller recommendations

I am in need of a brake controller for my trailer brakes. I checked my 6 pin connector with my brakes on motorhome and no 12 volts at connector. Guess the people who had my 2001 National Tropical never towed a trailer.

Any recommendations for a good controller. Hopefully they now work off my motorhome brakes rather than the old kind I had where you used your hand and slid a lever to use?

Anyone know where the blue wire from 6 pin connector comes out at motorhome?
g-cando is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 04:44 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
My favorite

Back when I was still towing my best results came with the Tekonsha Prodigy controller. Not sure about the wiring, may need to run a 12 lead to the connector, will have to handle a pretty good amperage load.

I hope I am understanding that you mean a controller for electric trailer brakes. The Prodigy does not hook into your motor home brake system, it is just electric and works by sensor, I loved it. Good proportional braking, no false braking on inclines or backing, adjustable and manual override, and could pretty much be mounted anywhere.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I have the Prodigy P3 by Tekonsha
Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 4 Axles - Proportional Tekonsha Brake Controller 90195
a great controller. Just four wires to get it installed. It would be real easy for you if you can find the blue wire under the dash where it's suppose to be.

You will probably want to go to a 7 Way connector. The folks at etrailer.com will help in any way you need.

Good Luck

Dick
Old 10-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #4

Etrailer is not that good. They will sell you what they have but they do not have everything you need. I just put a Tekonsha P3 in a Class C that if they would have sold me the pigtail that plugs into the Ford connector would have made my job a lot easier. If they would have told me where the connector was it would have been easier yet. That was on a 2012 chassis.

I'm not sure on an A chassis. If you dig around on this site you may find the chassis builders guide assuming you have a Ford:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...2/maintoc.html

If you can find the connector at the dash end the other end probably comes out around the rear axle and is tucked up someplace. Mine was over the gas tank.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I did talk to a hitch dealer and bought the Tekonsha Prodigy proportional controller. He had the ford plug which made installation a breeze except for that factory elec brake blue wire at the tail of the motorhome.
Once again it took me 4 hrs on my back to finally find this factory wire!!. Why can't you just find something you are looking for first time??
Location was not where the 6 pin connector wires met the harness 1 ft from the back like a lot of folks have found but right between the rear duallies and the tag axle. What a great spot to get into? I visited this spot once before to top up my tag axle brake reservoir. On the drivers side of frame here there is a larger wire connector( 2 in round) there is wiring split hose and tape. If you remove the tape and peel back the split hose (kind of like peeling a banana) you will find the blue wire. I had to splice onto this and run 12 ft back to my connector which I changed to a 7 pin in case I ever want to add a light or something I have a spare pin.

Thanks for all your help
Gary
g-cando is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake