Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samflhomes View Post
Why has no one mentioned to keep the slides waxed on bottom and sides? This is important plus be sure you get wax at bottom past the seal to the very edge. Put some on the plastic slides at bottom as well. Wax removes a lot of the stress.

Also, I use dry lube to lubricate the gears and moving parts twice a year
Good advice. Wax has been mentioned several times in other threads. My slide sits and moves on rollers, so as long as the box is properly aligned and not causing torque drag, it moves pretty easily. I just use a bit of seal conditioner on the rubber seal. Not sure if petroleum-based wax is good for the seal strip though, but it probably is hardened enough if buffed well.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Shop says should be road worth sometime Wednesday this week. If so will bring it home, give it a good bath, stock up on supplies then go for a short shake down cruise.
Gyrene6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Got the MH back on Wednesday last. They went from a worm gear to a direct drive system. Checked it out at the repair shop and it worked great. Brought MH home and started giving it a much needed bath. Friends came over & we showed off how well everything worked. Friday last a friend stopped by and when I went to show him how everything worked the bedroom slide FAILED TO GO OUT AGAIN!!!!! It operated about 5 or 6 times before it failed. Tomorrow morning I will be at the repair shop when it opens. Nearly $1000 was spent on replacement parts. Needless to say I am not a happy camper nor is my lovely, and more patient than I am , wife...
Old 04-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #18

My total sympathies Gyrene6891. Knowing how upset I got with my 2 failed drive units, in your situation I might be tempted to drive the rig over a cliff and collect insurance (theoretically). I was imagineering a redo on my slide-out and even looking at hydraulic pumps and pistons to see if something better than an electric drive was possible. I don't have enough machine shop savvy to go there. I hope you get on top of it all, but you really must have a lot of friction on your slide movement and that needs to be dealt with.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I said earlier...... The slides have to be waxed. Sounds like tension on slides as they move in and out pretty easy unless they are torqued wrong
Has to be excess friction somewhere
Samflhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:36 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
The repair shop called this afternoon and informed me there were defective parts on the install. They are contacting the manufacture for a no cost replacement. The length of time in the shop this time is dependent on how quickly the manufacture takes to ship the repair parts and what method they use for shipment. Outside best guess another 2 weeks...

Not sure how I can grease/wax the slide since it is a bedroom slide and when it is out everything is covered unlike the lounge slide which has the slide tracks visible...
Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's the metal sides and bottom you wax not any tracks

The sides and bottom rub against the rubber seals and the bottom pads causing motor to work harder
Old 04-17-2014, 01:09 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Samflhomes I understand the concept and need for wax/grease but there is nothing visible on the bottom of the bedroom slide out except the cover, which showes no indication of touching anything...
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So you are saying that you have a slide out but when it slides out none of the sides nor the bottom nor the top touch anything?

Doesn't any of the 4 sides touch rubber seals?
Doesn't the bottom also ride on plastic or Teflon guides visible just past the rubber seals?

Any contact causes friction and wax reduces friction. Not talking about grease here just plain polished wax on surface of sides. Mine are metal and drag once the wax wears off.

Good luck in the future
Old 04-18-2014, 05:37 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gyrene:

If you look at the bottom of your bedroom slide on the outside of your MH you will notice three areas that look like they show slight wear. These are the areas that ride on nylon bushings that are attached to the floor of your slide opening. These are BUSHINGS and not rollers.

Clean and sand these areas lightly with 600 grit wet/dry sand paper. Then use some old fashion carnuba wax on the bottom of the slide in these areas. The sanding process is the secret, as it will allow the bottom of the slide to really hold onto the wax, as the slide moves in and out.

Never lube the bushings with anything...This will cause the slide to shudder as it moves.

I have done this to my MH, and a few National RV owners that we have met in our travels. It really makes a difference in how fast, and smoothly the slide moves.

Also check the steel rails under your bed [the rails that move in the alignment bushings] and make sure they are clean. Lots of folks will grease these rails. It's ok for awhile, but in time the grease accumulates dirt and grit that will cause extra friction. Over time, the grease also gets sticky...which doesn't help either.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BEAUTIFUL PHOENIX, AZ
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Once I get the MH back from the repair shop, again, I will look into waxing the surfaces. It surely couldn't hurt...
Old 05-01-2014, 01:48 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
FINALLY, we go the MH from the shop again today. The shop said the ran the slide 6 times and we ran it another 12 times. I think this the largest number of times it has ever worked continuously. We both feel confident it continue to work for us for quite a while, at least we hope so. The shop has a 90 day guarantee and we were advised to run the slide on day 65 no matter where we are just to make sure we can get it in within the 90 time frame should it fail, fingers crossed, again. Thank you to all who offered assistance and moral support. Hoping to one day see you all on the road somewhere.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:36 AM   #27
TSM

I am in Ohio , where is the shop that was determined to get the slide fixed? The biggest problem I have is a shop with skilled techs that can actually resolve issues.
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:51 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
The repair shop is in Junction City, Oregon.
FYI, it has been quite awhile since the last repair job was done and EVERYTHING is working fine, he says with fingers still crossed!!!