Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Broken Step frame bolt

There are four bolts, approx. 5 inches long that come down thru the frame for my electric steps to mount at the side door of my 2002 Tradewinds 370E. One of the bolts snapped the treaded end the other day. I push up on the bolt and it hits the step inside the coach well before it will come out of the framework. Does anyone know how to get this out so I can replace it?
Sober Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you can get to the top head of the bolt you may be able to cut the bolt off so it drops out the bottom. You could then use a piece of all thread and install nuts on both ends to create a new bolt. Or possibly put a new bolt in from the bottom up rather than top down. You can use lock nuts or use a second nut as a jam nut to prevent it from vibrating loose.

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gently pry up the floor covering to get access the two outer edge bolts. Use needle nose pliers, or a very strong speaker magnet, or a curved "pick" to get under the carriage style head and pry up. I replaced two of the carriage bolts with grade 5 bolts (I think they were like 5 1/4" to 5 1/2" long?) and two grade 5 large diameter washers. I mounted the heavy duty grade 5 bolts on the outer edge (street side). When I installed all four nuts I put a few drops of "Red type Lock-Tite" on the threads. Haven't had a problem since in 4 years.
2004 NRV Dolphin 5355, 24' Pace Shadow trailer, inside is a "2011 Hemmings Muscle Machine of the Year" and 2011 Reno, NV. Hot August Nights "Best Restored Stock Car", 1970 Olds F85 W-31, Rally Red, 4 speed, 1 of 5 in this color, only 207 built
davebw31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:42 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsallach View Post
If you can get to the top head of the bolt you may be able to cut the bolt off so it drops out the bottom. You could then use a piece of all thread and install nuts on both ends to create a new bolt. Or possibly put a new bolt in from the bottom up rather than top down. You can use lock nuts or use a second nut as a jam nut to prevent it from vibrating loose.
I gave that some thought but did not want to forgo any strength in the bolting process. I would worry about the all thread snapping under the pressure as well. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:45 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I will go to the storage area and give this a try tonight. I did not see where I could look into the top of the frame from the floor area, but I will give it a good inspection this evening. I knew there was an engineer somewhere that created this, but sometimes they just don't think of repair issues. Thank you for the info. I will post what I find this evening.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I removed the floor covering on the bottom step to access those bolts. Mine a a ribbed rubber stair tread that was screwed down.

2002 National Sea Breeze LX 8341
https://thebreezerv.wordpress.com
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Repair completed

Well it was not a pretty sight, but I got it fixed. The bolt cutters would not fit between the frame rail and the fiberglass step tubs. I dropped the electric steps, put the bolt cutter between the mounting frame rails, and just managed to get the cutting jaws on the bolt. After cutting the bolt (which I believe was way under strength) I replaced all the bolts with Grade 5 shoulder bolts, nuts and washers. My wife even assisted me in remounting the steps. I have a couple of wires to reattach this evening and we are off tomorrow like a herd of turtles.
Two things of interest to note: One the square shoulder bolts were treaded all the way up, but the bolt broke right at the frame plate for the electric steps. One of the others was stretched at that thread as well. Soft bolts?
Second, the steps are very heavy so don't try to lift them by yourself. I was setting under the motorhome, holding the motor end of the steps, and had my wife set the lowest step up on my feet to allow me to lift it safely.

Do not plug any connectors back in until you are well out of the way of the steps as they can retract and scare the living be jeebbers out of you.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
One of the other things to remember is if you are going to stop in and area where you will have to park next to a curb be sure leave enough room from the curb so your step will have room to extend out with out hitting the curb.
It happened to me and the step hit the curb and broke the arm that extend the step.
JUST A THOUGHT
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame