Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2018, 08:05 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Broken water supply at hot water heater

Found a minor water leak at the supply side of the water heater last week. It was dripping from the lower fitting in the rear of the hot water heater. The close nipple was cracked and that is where it was dripping from. I used the bypass, drained the tank and removed the supply line. When I went remove the plastic close nipple it snapped of flush with the inlet pipe. OF course it was cracked but now I cannot get it out. I have used an easy out and got it to bite, but cannot get the last of the fitting out. I am trying to not have to pull the entire tank out to replace the fitting. Of course it is not in an easy access area under the sink. Any suggestions?
Sober Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #2

Had the same problem, finally had to take it out and have a machine shop clean up the threads. 6 hours my time and $20 shop time. 2006 $$$
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #3

My water heater was in the pass through storage area so I could lay in there and work. I used a skinning knife, close quarters hacksaw, hammer, and screw driver to to get it out. It was 100° that day. c Use bronze fittings when you repair.

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:02 PM   #4

You might want to try splitting the piece into 2 or 3 pieces and then using a pick or small flat blade screw driver to remove the pieces.Mine was leaking at the same place.I was able to get the connector pipe out but found the threads so badly corroded that I had to install a new connector pipe with JB weld suitable for PVC. I know eventually I will have to replace the tank.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Grand Design Owners Club
Would something like either of these work?
https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...act=mrc&uact=8 or
https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...act=mrc&uact=8

Another thought.
If you got a rat tail file (triangular shape), pushed it in so it dige into plastic left in threads and used a pair of pliers.
That has worked for me before on another type of fitting that was broken flush.
Good luck.
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater