Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #1

Can I Really Tow With This Thing?

In thinking about getting a TOAD of course I don't want to blow up my motor. Although the rig is rated to be able to tow a small vehicle the way the 460 sounds going up a decent grade makes me wonder.

The engine has about 80,000 on it and has just been gone over very well. It doesn't burn any oil, the compression is good but of course it is slow going up a decent hill. Transmission downshifts and the engine screams. It's running about 4,000 RPM.

Does anybody have any towing experience with a 460 and if so are there any problems or is it just my inexperience with the dog house proximity?
F4Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I see in your profile you have a 33' National RV. That isn't too big a rig on an F53 chassis that you can't tow with it. There should be a label next to the driver's seat with information about capacities, including towing capacity. As long as you don't tow a Toad that's heavier than your RV is rated to tow, you should be fine.

The 460 V-8 sounds so ferocious because you're sitting almost next to it. It revs high to get all the torque its rated for, but it really won't blow up. Just turn up the radio.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #3

Towinga Toad

To begin with I have never had an F53 with a 460 but I have had 2 class A GM P chassis motorhomes and both reved to between 3500 and 4500 rpms on climbing hills with a small toad. The loudest noise you will hear is the fan clutch locking up especially on hot days. As long as there are no cooling system or any other mechanical issues I wouldn't worry about the high revs. If you are going to be getting into more extreme mountains with very steep grades you can add an auxillary transmission that attaches to the output shaft of the existing trans in your motorhome. Gear Vendors as well as other manufacturers make auxillary transmissions.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #4

You will have no problem towing a toad with that motorhome. You won't be the fastest one going up the hills but you will still make it to the top. My last m/h was a 94 Pace Arrow with the 460 and I towed a car in a trailer back and forth across the Rockies a few times with no issues.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing to remember when towing, you must also think about braking ability.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
You will have no problem towing a toad with that motorhome. You won't be the fastest one going up the hills but you will still make it to the top. My last m/h was a 94 Pace Arrow with the 460 and I towed a car in a trailer back and forth across the Rockies a few times with no issues.
I have a couple questions for you about your Pace Arrow. What kind of mileage did you get with it? What was your loaded weight? We just finished a 10 day 1800 mile trip and my mileage was ok but not great. I'm just wondering if it is my driving style or if its just the way it is going to be with this thing.
DS79
Old 06-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS79 View Post
I have a couple questions for you about your Pace Arrow. What kind of mileage did you get with it? What was your loaded weight? We just finished a 10 day 1800 mile trip and my mileage was ok but not great. I'm just wondering if it is my driving style or if its just the way it is going to be with this thing.
DS79
To be honest I don't remember for sure but I think the best I got without the trailer was 8 or 9 mpg and with the trailer it was closer to 6 mpg. I can't remember what I weighed but it was over what the m/h was rated for when pulling the trailer.

I sold it to an old employee who drove it back to the east coast and I'm pretty sure he said they got around 9 mpg for an average pulling a small trailer.

I just figured lots of fuel was part of the cost to have a motorhome so I didn't think too much about it.

Tags
tow