Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2021, 01:29 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can't find out what shocks I need

I have a National Tropical TC33A and need new front shocks. I cannot find out what shocks I need to buy. I think I want Blisten and their catalogue Year/Brand/Model widget does not accept input.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2021, 01:42 PM   #2

I personally prefer Koni over Bilstein. Here is a site:
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Koni-RV-Shocks
Old 01-14-2022, 09:06 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK. Michigan Truck Spring said that the XC-R chassis, if it has the solid axle, takes these on the front.

Bilstein 24-234498 | B6 | Shock Absorber. I had them send a pair for around $300.00 and another $50 for 2nd day shipping. They arrived more or less on time. Seems to be a good place to get them.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Old 02-27-2022, 10:02 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have has some chance to try out our new shocks (we replaced all 4 and they were shot). WE had 50,000 mi on it. They turned out to be original. With the new Bilstens, or any other new shocks probably, the ride was transformed. Not as much the comfort as the drive-ability. Uneven pavement is no longer scary. Wind gusts do not cause lane changes. I do not arrive worn out and tense. If yours might be shot just do it. I spent just over $400 and several hours.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:56 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

That's great to hear the factory shocks are not the best. It sure is nice to be able to drive comfortably.

Shocks that are currently available are built for a price point. An $80 shock is not comparable to a $450 shock in it's ability to control. The larger the shock bore is the more control you get and the less that the shock has to work which extends the shocks life. Selecting a shock that is serviceable is great as you can rebuild it and if you are not happy with the shocks performance you can have it revalved for your diving style or comfort. This is a great option as many shocks that are on the market tend to work better on certain vehicles than others. Not all shocks are valved specifically to your RV they use a basic valving rate that they think will fit an "RVs" needs.

CUSTOM TRUCK, RV & SEMI SHOCKS by HD SHOCKS Race Proven. Highway Comfort.
SHOCKERRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Who made the chassis. I would check with them. They should know from the vin the shocks that were used in the build for the weight specifications from the rv manufacture.

Use those numbers, if you want to change manufatures cross reference those numbers.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks