Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Carbon Monoxide Alarm?

We have had the coach for almost three years now and frankly I haven't given these detectors much thought. I've tested them a time or two and take a look at the flashing green light now and then but that’s about it. Today the Carbon Monoxide alarm had triggered. I opened the windows and sprayed the fittings in stove, both furnaces, refrigerator, hot water heater, generator, and both regulators on the lp tank with soapy water and found no LP Gas leaks. When I returned inside the alarm had quit and the light was flashing green. We haven't used the coach for a couple weeks now and all appliances have been off, so no open flames for that period of time.
I don't know how old they are, they may even be the originals installed in 1999. If so I really do need to replace them with new.

My question is. Is it common for them to false alarm, since it reset it hasn't gone off again and it's been about 12 hours.
The Carbon Monoxide sensor is about head high and the LP gas detector is at floor level.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3009.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	4451   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3022.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	4452  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #2

At the last FMCA rally we attended, we were told that these detector have a useful life of 5 years.

In a previous motorhome, our LP Gas detector would go off intermittently without any probable cause. We replaced it and had no further problems. (looking back though, it may have been the bean burritos that may have been the cause)

Bob C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had basically the same problem last year, so I called the friendly local RV center, his only recommendation was to upgrade with more moderm equipement. HMMMMMMMMM, I started thinking, what could possibly cause this erratic problem. I unhooked it for several days, then hooked it back up and it works perfect, no more problems, try it, JHMO but it does work, repair cost $0.00. Happy Trails & travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:44 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In most cases the sensors in side get dirty and they go off at a lesser threat than normal. They make them so you can't take them apart and clean them so you have to replace it. They sell more that way.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know this sounds crazy, but check your batteries. I had a problem with my LP Gas alarm going off. I checked all the fittings and even turned off the LP Gas. Turned out it was two of my four coach batteries had dead cells and the water was boiling. I could not smell the odor and would have never believed that this could have been the problem. I replaced the batteries and the alarm stopped going off. This was over a year ago and never a problem since.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Thanks All

Fred I checked the Batteries and all six are well. The house Batteries aren't boiling and are at the same voltage @ 6.5 VDC. The chassis Batteries are both at 13.5 VDC and are sealed, so not much to check there. Thanks for the tip.

I removed both alarms and discovered they both are dated 1988, when the coach was new, and since it is the CO Detector going off after sitting for two weeks I'm assuming I just need to replace them. I hate to spend $100 for a non upgrade but so it is. The order has been placed and I'll install them when they arrive.

Again thanks.

Dick
Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Here's a tip for your detectors...vaccum them regularly especially your smoke, it will help give the detector better sensing and longer life.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine went off the other day when we were out camping. Couldn't figger it out till I thought I smelled car exhaust and remembered that I had started the toad to warm it up and was inside getting ready to go and didn't realize that the DW had the Fantastic fan on and it was sucking the exhaust into the MH thru the front door which was open. Shut the car off,turned on the bathroom fan and the stove fan and in a few minutes it stopped chirping. Met some really nice neighbors also when they came to see what was happening. Man those alarms can be loud.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Both new alarms arrived and I installed them. All is well, three days and no noise. Just too old and needed replaced.

Thanks all.

Dick
Old 07-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Both new alarms arrived and I installed them. All is well, three days and no noise. Just too old and needed replaced.

Thanks all.

Dick
Now you can feel safe and sleep at night. Your old one was a CO Detector and the new ones are built to a different standard and named CO Alarms. The life span of CO Alarms is usually 5 years, but some are the new ones are designed to last 7 years. You had to bite the bullet and replacee them due to age, but that was money well spent.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carbon dioxide is a product of combustion.. So if the CO detector is going off it is NOT a propane leak, however it is always good to check those fittings even if there is no way they can be the problem

Now the explosive gas detector (near the floor) that one detects propane leaks.

Detectors do wear out. I had to replace my co detector at 5 years. Kept going not into alarm mode but into fault mode. (Different beep pattern)

There are 3 alarm patterns

1: Low battery'
2: Other fault (may be same pattern)
3: GET OUT NOW (ALARM)
Old 07-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I checked the LP connections while I was waiting for the coach to air out after opening the windows. A whatched pot never boils. Just something to do while I waited, it's been a while since I did that. All is well now that I have installed the new detectors. BTW I couldn't find a CO sensor at least not the Series 2001, I sent them a message via there Web Site but no answer. This seems to be the norm these days except for Fantastic Fan which bends over backwards to give customer service.

Dick