Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ceramic tile on entry stairs

Has anyone here ever tiled their entry with ceramic tile...if so how would the tiles best be adhered to the metal stairs? Is there a type of thin set or glue that is recomended, or a type of grout that is best suited for movement, I have a 2001 Tradewinds 7372 and am considering doing away with the carpet and rubber on the stairs and passenger side entry and would like to match the entry with the tile in the kitchen and bath.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
JVJ

Are you speaking of the outside metal stairs?
Intersting question. I do know that they make a grout that does flex some. And I feel certain that a good exterior adhesive would hold the tile in place.
However my concern would be how slick the tile could become in different weather conditions IE: rain, snow, ice, mud.
JVJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
No I'm meaning the stairs inside...I think they are metal beneath the carpet.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
They are fiberglass on the sides and stair backs, I just did mine in laminate. Under the rubber mats there is a thin piece of plywood, 1/8 ", didn't take the mats up but I think it's fiberglass under them, too.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
When we redo our flooring, I am thinking about having the inside stair area Rino lined. I would then use the snap down mats on the steps. It sounds like it would make it easy to keep them clean.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just re tiled my steps after I removed the carpet on the treads and risers. Mine were metal underneath but I was afraid that if I used ceramic tile they would crack if the stairs flexed at all. I went with a vinyl tile that was very close to what I had in the coach. I attached the tile with liquid nails and it worked out very well .
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the reply's...I like the idea of the vinyl it sounds like less labour to install and easier and since I am doing it myself I like that. Does the vinyl come with a "faux" grout line or do the seams look as though they but right together??
Old 09-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #8

Take a look at Duraceramic by Congolium

My wife found this product a number of years ago. She has installed (herself) about 500 Square Ft. of it in our house using a grout style. We decided to use it in our 98 Tradewinds 7370, but she went without the grout using - as they say in the radio ads "the modern edge to edge look". There is a clear sealer you put between the tiles after the glue dries to seal them. This way you don't have to worry about movement during travel damaging the grout.

The most noticable area was in the bath where she replaced the carpet around the toilet - yuck!

She did the stairs complete, bottoms and sides. The edges are covered with the usual residential stair strip. The main problem in this area is that the coaches are not built "square", so tapering cuts were necessary. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

The product is as easy to install as vinyl tile as you cut straight edges like you cut drywall, score it and break it off. Curved cuts are made using a carpet knife, you can sort of wittle the difficult cuts for exact fits.

We have one season in with the floor, and for now it is still standing up to the punishment of the slide "rollers" that others have said damaged their laminate.

P.S. This product is about 1/2 the thickness of ceramic tiles, so slide clearance is less of an issue.
Margarittamobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewellz View Post
Thanks for the reply's...I like the idea of the vinyl it sounds like less labour to install and easier and since I am doing it myself I like that. Does the vinyl come with a "faux" grout line or do the seams look as though they but right together??
The vinyl tile I used came from Lowes and it was peel and stick and it did have grout lines embossed on the edges of the tile. The peel and stick was a bad idea. It wouldn't stay stuck to the risers when it got hot. I cleaned off the stickum and used liquid nails adhesive to hold it on the risers. The tile was easy to cut with razor knife and a straight edge.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote