Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:07 AM   #1

Question Charging coach batteries

I just bought a 2004 Dolphin 6355LX and am wondering if the coach batteries will be charged from the alternater while driveng. Also I was told that the only way the coach batteries would charge from the solar panel is when the coach battery disconnect switch is in the disconnect position. Any one know about this?

Gary111
Gary111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary111 View Post
I just bought a 2004 Dolphin 6355LX and am wondering if the coach batteries will be charged from the alternater while driveng. Also I was told that the only way the coach batteries would charge from the solar panel is when the coach battery disconnect switch is in the disconnect position. Any one know about this?

Gary111
That's a good question on the solar cell. In my manual it says that the coach and chassis batteries charge while the engine is running, last night I did a voltage check while hooked to shore power, the chassis batteries showed a charge of 13.57 V DC with the coach battery disconnect switch on or off and no charge to the chassis batteries. I haven't confirmed the solar charging system yet. Think i'll do it tonight after work.
I'll return to your post to see if you found anything and or see what I found
Old 04-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, both the coach batteries and chassis battery are charged by the alternator when the engine is running. Both sets of batteries are also charged when plugged into shore power with the newer inverters, which I believe you have (mine does). I'm pretty sure the solar panel trickle charges the coach batteries all the time.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:30 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K View Post
Yes, both the coach batteries and chassis battery are charged by the alternator when the engine is running. Both sets of batteries are also charged when plugged into shore power with the newer inverters, which I believe you have (mine does). I'm pretty sure the solar panel trickle charges the coach batteries all the time.
Hum, guess I need to look into my inverter, it must be the old style not charging by shore power, might have to modify the switching of the solenoid. Haven't confirmed the solar cell yet, went cloudy here in Mich.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Was looking at the specs for the 96 Seabreeze and did not see a inverter as a option, it shows a 50 converter/ charger. If you have a inverter it may a inverter only and you would get the Bat. charge from the converter / charger.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S. View Post
Was looking at the specs for the 96 Seabreeze and did not see a inverter as a option, it shows a 50 converter/ charger. If you have a inverter it may a inverter only and you would get the Bat. charge from the converter / charger.
Oops, thank you for correcting me, that is correct, I cannot use my 12 VDC system (or, as I have 2-6 VDC batteries in series) to run my 120 VAC system. Thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S. View Post
Question, I'm curios of where you found the specs. I've been looking to find more detailed info. then what National has in there manual?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is only general information, but it helps. Link below
National RV Archives
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #9

When either battery system gets to about 13.2 volts the interconnect solenoid closes and connects all batteries together. When the voltage gets to 12.8 the interconnect solenoid opens and disconnects the two. The interconnect solenoid is on the back of the 12v fuse panel.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #10

My solar panel seems to charge both the house and chassis batteries, even when the disconnect switch is in disconnect position. I replaced the little OEM panel with a 50 watt panel and charge controller that feeds the original wiring circuit to the batteries. When the coach is in extended storage, all the batteries show consistent full voltage.