Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:25 PM   #1

Chassis A/C anomaly?

My 2002 Tradewinds DP (Freightliner Chassis) A/C unit seems out of sorts.

Driving highway speeds (65mph) on hot days causes the cab to heat uncomfortably even though the dash A/C blows cold and will cool the cab quickly when stopped/idling. I have a heavy curtain between the cab and the main coach and should be able to cool just the cab nicely.

I have also noticed condensation/moisture dripping from the air vents in the dash, and from the hoses underneath the dash, they actually drip water on my feet.

Photo is of dash vents after 5 hr drive. This will wash off pretty easily only to reappear on the next long hot (A/C on full blast) drive.

I'm grateful for suggestions or thoughts..
Thanks!!
Missionrec
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearl AC dash condensation.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	337825  
missionrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2021, 04:18 AM   #2

If the dashboard of your coach was built anywhere similar to the way ours was built - your dashboard has come loose and outside air is being forced into the coach under the dash as you drive down the road.

Even if your dash isn’t lose, air is being forced into the coach through an opening. The cold ducts are condensing warm humid air coming from somewhere - and your saying that the AC cools well when stopped suggests it’s an air infiltration issue.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
If the dashboard of your coach was built anywhere similar to the way ours was built - your dashboard has come loose and outside air is being forced into the coach under the dash as you drive down the road.

Even if your dash isn’t lose, air is being forced into the coach through an opening. The cold ducts are condensing warm humid air coming from somewhere - and your saying that the AC cools well when stopped suggests it’s an air infiltration issue.
Totally agree. The A/C is working as normal but is being overloaded by the extra heat being brought in when you are driving.
Good description by Mrmark. This was a fairly common issue on older semi trucks.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:40 AM   #4

I suspected this but I'm glad to hear the confirmation before I pull the dash...

Thank you both!
Old 07-31-2021, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionrec View Post
I suspected this but I'm glad to hear the confirmation before I pull the dash...

Thank you both!
I didn’t realize the issue with ours until after we purchased from a private owner and was driving it home against a headwind. I kept feeling slight air wisps hitting me in the face.

A few weeks later while driving to Longview in the rain to get recall work done, the windshield wipers were acting goofy - the wiper motor had broken loose from the plywood OSB plywood they used to make the dash.
Then I noticed I could push the plywood up. When looking closer, GB used 6 or 7 #10 screws to attach the dashboard to the front end cap. They had all sheared off or rusted away.
The shearing happened due to torquing of the chassis when you pull into or out of places like parking lots where there is a grade transition. In fact, it busted the driver side windshield on our first outing due to GB not fully rounding the dash to match the windshield radius.

I pulled the whole thing out, peeled back the covering, installed 5/16” blind nuts, replaced the covering, drilled clearance holes out in the front cap, screwed 5/16” studs into the blind nuts, put weatherstripping on the mating surfaces of splash to end cap, reinstalled the dash, and bolted everything down tight.
Problem solved, and the coach is much tighter on the front end.

Pictures available upon request.

YMMV 😀
Old 07-31-2021, 02:48 PM   #6

Thanks MrMark52 ��

I just had both windshields replaced because of a frame twist in a NC state park. Totally crushed the bottom by the driver's side mirror.☹️ Hopefully the framework is ok...

I will be digging into the dash very soon and any pictures/suggestions would be very helpful

I'm going to install a 4 camera DVR/IR camera security system while I'm undér there. ��

This forum is AWESOME!
Old 08-10-2021, 04:11 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I love this forum! So helpful!!!!
Chinadoll13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:22 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can only suggest a thermometer for a dash grill to monitor supply temp? If blowing cold, and enough cold volume, are you using RECIRC OR oUTSIDE AIR ? RECIRC will give colder air. Maybe HOT AIR blowing in somewhere? Water valve not completely closing? VENT open would do it? Class-A has large glass, but condensate also needs to properly drain? re: humidity. Electric condenser fans under hood can be intermittent and unnoticed without thermometer in air supply? Loose/ slipping Fan belts can affect compressor and/ or FAN? or it (MIGHT) just be a LITTLE low on Freon (putting out 50-60-deg air (which will feel cool, but NOT COLD) when it should (maybe?) be 30-40-deg?
Old 08-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #9

Hey MrMark 52

Should I PM you for some pictures? I am 2/3 into having the dash out and questioning myself...

Does all of the dash have to come out all the way to the bulkhead underneath the windshield??

Thanks for your help ��
Old 08-14-2021, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionrec View Post
Hey MrMark 52

Should I PM you for some pictures? I am 2/3 into having the dash out and questioning myself...

Does all of the dash have to come out all the way to the bulkhead underneath the windshield??

Thanks for your help ��
Tried sending last night but didn’t zip the picture files, so got stuck in my Outbox. Will try again today.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #11

I got the email, thanks bro!!

Tags
chassis