Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Chassis Leaning

I have read through several posts on this forum about chassis leaning.

There appears to be several possible solutions. Would someone be able to provide some feedback on which order to implement if at all. And results.

Mine is leaning to the front driver side.

Air Bags
Leaf springs
shims
etc...?
matempleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by matempleton View Post
I have read through several posts on this forum about chassis leaning.

There appears to be several possible solutions. Would someone be able to provide some feedback on which order to implement if at all. And results.

Mine is leaning to the front driver side.

Air Bags
Leaf springs
shims
etc...?

What chassis is your RV built on? Have you gotten a 4-corner weight when loaded to see if that is part of the issue?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
It's on a Ford F53 chassis.
I have not weighed the 4 corners. I'll get that done and post back when I have results.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:05 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The suggestion above to do a 4-corner weighing is a good one. You MAY be able to re-balance loads to lighten the leaning corner, if that is the problem.

My rig was built on the Ford 20,500# F53 chassis. When I bought the rig at 12 years old, it had a lean on the passenger front corner. The rear end was pretty level, side to side, but the front side to side had a definite lean side to side. After reading a lot of the prior posts, there were a lot of suggestions and possible solutions.

In my case, the lean was about 2-3", so a shim would have to be more like a block. A replacement spring was about $400-500 without installation labor. I guessed having the spring re-bent would be not much cheaper.

I went with adding air-bags on the front axle. The price was less than either of the spring solutions, and I had adjust-ability. I set the driver side at the 10 psi minimum, and adjust the passenger side air until the rig is level, side to side. Easy.

I still do four corner weights, but I keep the basement storage in that corner virtually empty. The rig sits level now and feels better balanced when driving. I'm pretty happy with the path I took.

Good luck on yours.
Karl
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:33 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the replies so far. In my original post I said the driver side. That was in error. It leans to the passenger side.

I went to a truck stop to try and get weighed. They had 3 scales for weighing. There were Steer Axle, Drive Axle and Trailer Axle scales. I told the attendant my plans to get 3 readings. I was told that it would not be accurate and the scales were not intended for this use.

The scales and surrounding areas were all pretty level so I think these weights, while not perfectly accurate are pretty close.

As a side note, my wife was in with the attendant while I was straddling the scales, and a trucker walked in and told the attendant there was an idiot on the scales with a motor home. She cut loose on him verbally, but refrained from any physical altercation. I'm thinking it was good I was not in with the attendant and she was straddling the scales. There would likely have been a physical altercation.

Here are the readings.
1. Right side of motor home on the scales left side of motor home off the scales.

Front/Right - 2880
Rear/Right - 6420
Total - 9300

2. Left side of motor home on the scales right side of motor home off the scales
Front/Left - 2920
Rear/Left - 6060
Total - 8980

3. Both side of motor home on the scales on the scales

Front - 5800
Rear - 12600
Total - 18400

Measurements of the lean
Front passenger side is 1 3/4 of inches lower than the front drivers side.

Rear passenger side is 2 1/4 inches lower than the rear drivers side.

I moved what items I could from the passenger side of the motor home to the driver side.

Measurements after

Front passenger side is 1 1/2 inches lower
Read passenger side is 1 3/4 inches lower

There is not much else to move without moving permanent fixtures.

My thoughts are at this point is to start with the air bags as Karlos suggested.

But I'm listening and reserve the right to get smarter.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:06 AM   #6

coach lean

I would go with the air bags, helps with the ride and you can adjust them. How is your shocks? Perhaps one shock is bad.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
New shocks about 4 weeks ago.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:51 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Take it to a spring shop.

That's what I did with my 36' Dolphin 1997 and they put another spring in the back and that took care of the leaning .
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter5555 View Post
That's what I did with my 36' Dolphin 1997 and they put another spring in the back and that took care of the leaning .
Just a thought.
I tend to agree with this. The problem is most likely that one spring has sprung (sagged - sorry for the bad humour).

Adding air bags doesn't solve the underlying problem, it's my opinion that it just masks it.

After returning from a long trip in 2009 on bad roads, my rear end appeared to have dropped (drooped) a couple of inches. I had the springs re-arched and another leaf installed in each.

It also very much improved the stability (body roll).

Glenn

Tags
chassis