Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
chassis not charging from shore pwr

HI all

I have a 2005 dolphin lx. when i am plugged into shore power only my house charges. when i start the engine or generator both banks charge. is this normal or should shore power charge the chassis as well the house. Thought i would check this out before adding secondary chargers

Liteship
liteship is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Here's what the Workhorse Chassis manual says

According to the Workhorse chassis guide (Work Horse Chassis Guide 1999-2009.pdf p33/ Workhorse Chassis Guide 2006.pdf p59) there is a battery isolator that separates the chassis from the house batteries. The isolator disconnects the chassis battery from the house batteries when the motor is turned off. “This prevents the chassis battery from losing charge through the use of the motor home electrical components. Once the vehicle has started, the isolator will reconnect the motor home battery(s) back into the charging system to re-charge the motor home battery(s).”

I think this fits the circumstances you have described.

Workhorse manuals: RV Chassis Guide
you have to create a free accouint to get the manuals but its worth it for the information.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Charging

I understand how the battery isolation works. My question is when i'm plugged into external power only my house batteries charge shouldnt both banks charge> i understand some units do>
liteship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:23 AM   #4

chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by liteship View Post
I understand how the battery isolation works. My question is when i'm plugged into external power only my house batteries charge shouldnt both banks charge> i understand some units do>
I don't have a Dolphin, but a Islander and I found the same problem. leaving the M.H. plugged into shore power, I found that the chassis battery wasn't getting charged, to the point that it dropped to 11 volts, not enough to start the engine. So, I believe something was robbing power off of my chassis battery. I unplugged shore line, turned off both master switches and my two solar panels keep my house batteries charged up, but not the chassis. So, I heard about the Xantrex Echo charger, and installed one. While sitting the echo charger take power from the house batteries and keeps a charge going to the chassis battery, when the chassis battery reaches full charge, the echo keeps a float charge on it. Should the house battery reach a certain voltage, it quits charging altogether so it won't lose its voltage. I have found that the solar panels keep them up enough and the chassis battery hasn't gone below 12.75 volts. You might consider a echo charger, easy to install, you can get them for about $100.
Retiredblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
National RV's 12V system was set-up to charge the chassis battery after the coach batteries reached full charge. I don't have the info pertaining to the function within the 12V Distribution board. I suspect there is an interconnect relay within the system.

Hopefully others can be more specific.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
National RV's 12V system was set-up to charge the chassis battery after the coach batteries reached full charge. I don't have the info pertaining to the function within the 12V Distribution board. I suspect there is an interconnect relay within the system.

Hopefully others can be more specific.

fred
This is the way mine works also and it does normally take a while before it switches over.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
This is the way mine works also and it does normally take a while before it switches over.
The battery control board will charge the engine battery if it drops below a threshold voltage (cant remember that voltage). The short answer is yes, your battery charger should charge the house batteries and the chassis battery.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #8

My 2004 Sea Breeze charges both the house and chassis batteries on shore or generator. I'm not sure how the transfer switch is wired, but I would think if it charges with the generator, it should also charge with shore power.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, chassis