Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #1

Hi
I have been offered a number of Surf Side RV's These are brand new units and are 33' and 34' what sort of percentage discount should one expect. The starting offer is dealer invoice.
When the Rover group went into bankruptsy, here in the UK the vehicles were being purchased at dealer cost less 50%.
Any advice would be welcome, as would any tips on where to find cheap units.
Thank you
Regards
Terry
tel999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #2

Hi
I have been offered a number of Surf Side RV's These are brand new units and are 33' and 34' what sort of percentage discount should one expect. The starting offer is dealer invoice.
When the Rover group went into bankruptsy, here in the UK the vehicles were being purchased at dealer cost less 50%.
Any advice would be welcome, as would any tips on where to find cheap units.
Thank you
Regards
Terry
tel999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:06 AM   #3

well there are lots of National Dealers out there and I'm sure on the left over units like 2005 and 2006 you can work a heck of a deal but I doubt 50% off dealer invoice as you can't buy a used one for that. I think you can probally buy them at dealer invoice and ask for an extended warranty, but much more than that I think you will have a hard time. I have seen left over 04's and 05's that dealers will still only sell at invoice.....Good luck Ron
RVRONINPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
In the past, with any new motorhome, 25% to 30% off the MSRP is a great deal. I would say, with National Motorhomes, the only thing lacking is the warranty. The same discount with an extended warranty added, at no cost to the buyer, would seem to equal a great deal.

2020 - 41' Solitude
rkerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I disagree, National RV got permission from the Bankruptcy Court to sell the eleven show coaches used in the recent Louisville KY show for not less than 75% of INVOICE. I feel sure that would be very close too, if not less, than 50% of MSRP. Keep in mind the customary mark-up from manufacturing to retail is close to 100%, furnature and jewlery is close to 200%.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #6

Fred,

Are you sure that they got approval from the court? I did see the petition to the court to purchase the units, but I must have missed the approval for sale?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Larry, this along with a few other requests were were approved on December 28, 2007. Approval to Sell Show Units

I found it very interesting that NRV has gotten everything it has asked for in the court, over the objection of several creditors.

Fred
Old 01-04-2008, 02:40 AM   #8

Fred,

Thanks!

Larry
Old 01-04-2008, 05:48 AM   #9

The invoice price on a National RV should be right at 68% of MSRP. There have been suggestions to buy or get the dealer to throw in an Extended Service Plan. Those plans do not cover manufacturer's defects such as leaking windows or the roof, cracks in fiberglass, cabinets and wood work, etc. Also, ESP's have a deductible and come no where close to a factory warranty.

If I was buying a new NRV I would pay no more than $10,000 below invoice. I would spend two days and nights in the motorhome before signing on the dotted line. I would require the dealer fix every problem I found BEFORE paying for it. If the dealer would not agree to this I would walk away.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Norm, you right on the pricing, 10,000 RV's in San Diego CA petioned the Bankruptcy Court to buy the entire NRV inventory. The court was provided a listing of units indicating the Invoice and the 80% of invoice that they were prepared to pay, they have already lined up finacning for the purchase.

National RV Inventory Listing

Working the numbers backwards is would seem the rock bottom price for a NRV unit is close to 55% of MSRP, very close to tel999's number or 50%.

I doubt any dealer would be willing to sell a unit with that big a discount, however the numbers are now out in the public, make your best deal knowing where the numbers fall.

Fred
Old 01-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #11

Fred, Thanks for that link. Now I KNOW I paid too much for my Dolphin from my dealer.
Looking at those numbers that 10000 RV would pay, I would HOPE that if they did get alll those coaches, they would carry some of that discount to the consumer (yea, right). Still, if a person with the price info posted went in there, I bet they could strike a pretty good deal.
What do you think about that comment where 8% of the stock was purchased by an investor? Any way to validate that?
The conspiracy theory part of my brain was working on that one. If that is the case on the stock, I am kind of agreeing with that poster that something may be going on. My theory is that NRV "MAY" survive the CH 11 restructure as a smaller entity under a major corporation. OR, as a smaller company restarting in the 'Indiana RV Belt'. They did have some good and innovative ideas and they did make a really good coach. Of course I could just be dreaming but some of what has been hapening recently make me think that there still may be some life left somehwere.
Whaddaya think? Iknow, I know, I am probably dreaming (maybe even hopefully) but I still just cannot believe that NRV would just disappear completly.
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike, I believe a lot of us paid way too much for our units. Looks like this is the first time we, the consumer, has had an opportunity to "Look Inside" the RV industry.

A couple of other NRV owners and me have speculated on these issues. I guess the only item we agreed on would be the possibility for the company to shed all obligations and facilities, and then move to another state that is more "Business Friendly".

If you drill down through the Bankruptcy mailing notices you will find what I believe to be a large numbers of individuals and their attorneys which probably are Workers Comp. claims. I don't know if the company can dump their share of these comp. claims.

Fred
Old 01-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
I guess we will all have to stand by, and stay tuned to the continuing saga of NRV.
I must say, I for one would be very interested in 10,000 Rv's resale prices for these now classic coachs.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #14

Fred, when I looked at all the names at the end of the bankrupcy document, I was assuming many of those names were names in the NRV holdings group and not individuals. I didn't even think about workers comp. And since you are in Moreno Valley, you are pretty close to the factory, do you ever feel like driving by there 'just for fun'? I probably would if I were closer. Also since you are a So Cal resident, you should look into the Anaheim RV.net gathering April 4-6 at Canyon RV park just off the 91/241 interchange. If you go, It would be a great opportunity for us to meet.

Steve, I think your key words of stay tuned are very appropriate. With the great scans fo some of the documents people are putting on this site. It surely keeps us more infomed. Thanks to all on that.
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote