Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 124
Clear on rear cap

Good morning fellow National owners. I have an 02 Sea Breeze LX 8311. The rear cap of the coach really has a splotchy look about it. I've tried compound and wax and really nothing is making it look better. I was thinking of maybe wet sanding it with 400 or 600 grit sand paper and then spraying it with an automotive clearcoat. I've painted and clear coated before but not sure what the result of just a clear coat would be on his surface.

Any experience with this issue out there?

Thanks in advance.

Zoli
__________________
2014 Phaeton 36GH
Zogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
lawjohnson's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 277
I have the same issue with our 98 HR Endeavor. I have tried everything other than block sanding it, I just don't think it is worth it. It is not that bad and sanding that thing would be a lot of work!!
__________________
Larry & Sherry
w/Bug the Beagle
98 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 35WDS (Maybelline)/ 5.9 Cummins ISB / Allison / 2019 Chevrolet Equinox / Demco Commander 2 / Air Force One
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Posts: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawjohnson View Post
I have the same issue with our 98 HR Endeavor. I have tried everything other than block sanding it, I just don't think it is worth it. It is not that bad and sanding that thing would be a lot of work!!
Same issue with my HR but it getting worse every year. Until a few years ago, a pressure washer and elbow grease would make it pretty again after long trips.

Similar issue with my 40 yo fiberglass sailboat white deck. Last year because of cracking, I used while marine nonskid polyurethane.

Looked good after a year and a couple of pressure washes so I am doing the rest of the deck.

Took some of that painted and painted with a brush and area of the rear cap you can see. Jury still out.

Also considering the bed liner route.

One last thought, is do a small section in clear coat. If it looks bad slap a decal over it.

Notice the same look in the mirror when I shave. Spent 20 years trying to look older, 20 years trying to look younger. Now just try t remember to take my pills.

Anyway lets us know what works.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:36 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Thewellz's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 408
I wet sanded some contaminants off the rear sidewall on my 01 tradewinds with really good results and have since done the front cap on my parent's fifth wheel. I used 1200 grit and then polished with mequires #49 marine and rv oxidation remover. Wound up wirh a nice even and shiny finnish.
__________________
2001 National Tradewinds 7372
Thewellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:43 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
lawjohnson's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Same issue with my HR but it getting worse every year. Until a few years ago, a pressure washer and elbow grease would make it pretty again after long trips.

Similar issue with my 40 yo fiberglass sailboat white deck. Last year because of cracking, I used while marine nonskid polyurethane.

Looked good after a year and a couple of pressure washes so I am doing the rest of the deck.

Took some of that painted and painted with a brush and area of the rear cap you can see. Jury still out.

Also considering the bed liner route.

One last thought, is do a small section in clear coat. If it looks bad slap a decal over it.

Notice the same look in the mirror when I shave. Spent 20 years trying to look older, 20 years trying to look younger. Now just try t remember to take my pills.

Anyway lets us know what works.
Yeah... I can relate to the pill thing. What day is it??!!
__________________
Larry & Sherry
w/Bug the Beagle
98 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 35WDS (Maybelline)/ 5.9 Cummins ISB / Allison / 2019 Chevrolet Equinox / Demco Commander 2 / Air Force One
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:42 AM   #6
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Monterey Bay, CA
Posts: 178
I've got the same clearcoat failure going on as well. It shows on the front cap, rear cap, and around the sides .... all in areas high up, where the painted sides roll onto the white roof. The rest of the paint job is in great shape. My goal is to put down a UV protective layer that will save my paint job in those high areas.

After a little YouTube browsing, I found many videos about repairing clearcoat on cars. All followed a pattern of thorough cleaning, sanding the damaged clearcoat off, and finally applying a new clearcoat. Some did post-painting polishing to smooth out defects, orange peel, etc.

Most videos used rattle can paint that have a two part (2K) formula, using a second catalyst container inside the can that is released when started. I like the idea of the two part paint ... faster cure time and better UV protection and chemical protection. I don't like the idea of spraying it on though. Lots of masking and overspray issues.

The most appealing application choice to me was a small foam roller. Since the repairs would be very high on the rig, the finish quality of the paint won't be very obvious when standing below. I can work my way around the rig, tackling small areas at a time. The 2K automotive clearcoat paints are available in quart and gallon cans with the catalyst sold separately.

Any comments, concerns and ideas from the experienced car painters out there??

Karl
__________________
Karlos and Dawn
2007 Dolphin 5342 Workhorse
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Thewellz's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
I've got the same clearcoat failure going on as well. It shows on the front cap, rear cap, and around the sides .... all in areas high up, where the painted sides roll onto the white roof. The rest of the paint job is in great shape. My goal is to put down a UV protective layer that will save my paint job in those high areas.

After a little YouTube browsing, I found many videos about repairing clearcoat on cars. All followed a pattern of thorough cleaning, sanding the damaged clearcoat off, and finally applying a new clearcoat. Some did post-painting polishing to smooth out defects, orange peel, etc.

Most videos used rattle can paint that have a two part (2K) formula, using a second catalyst container inside the can that is released when started. I like the idea of the two part paint ... faster cure time and better UV protection and chemical protection. I don't like the idea of spraying it on though. Lots of masking and overspray issues.

The most appealing application choice to me was a small foam roller. Since the repairs would be very high on the rig, the finish quality of the paint won't be very obvious when standing below. I can work my way around the rig, tackling small areas at a time. The 2K automotive clearcoat paints are available in quart and gallon cans with the catalyst sold separately.

Any comments, concerns and ideas from the experienced car painters out there??

Karl
First I'm not an experienced painter! But if I'm not mistaken National used a fiberglass gel coated front and rear cap in the early 2000's pre body paint....I suppose you could paint over the gelcoat and then clear coat it, but I think it would be cost and time prohibitive. A random orbital buffer with adjustable speed and a really aggressive cutting compound should bring the gelcoat back to life.
__________________
2001 National Tradewinds 7372
Thewellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewellz View Post
I wet sanded some contaminants off the rear sidewall on my 01 tradewinds with really good results and have since done the front cap on my parent's fifth wheel. I used 1200 grit and then polished with mequires #49 marine and rv oxidation remover. Wound up wirh a nice even and shiny finnish.
Wondering if you did yours by hand or machine. I have an orbital that Iím trying with the wet 1200 grit. Itís a ton better but thereís still some blemishes and Iím not sure how much I should be sanding down. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch for your input
__________________
2014 Phaeton 36GH
Zogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:36 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Thewellz's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 408
[QUOTE=Zogman;5777520]Wondering if you did yours by hand or machine. I have an orbital that Iím trying with the wet 1200 grit. Itís a ton better but thereís still some blemishes and Iím not sure how much I should be sanding down. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks a bunch for

I did it all by hand with a sanding block, made several passes with no particular pattern I had fine scratches in the gelcoat surface after, and a consistent kind of dull finnish. I don't imagine you'll sand through the gel coat with 1200 grit, but if you worried try those blemishes by hand. If its really chalky you may not get it totally consistent, but After polishing with the mequires 49 using a buffer the fine scratches will polish out after 2 applications or so you should bring a shine back to it. Make sure to finnish with a good synthetic wax to protect it. I'm no detail expert , but I've restored a couple of National motorhomes and a couple of fifth wheels over the years and kind learned as I went. Hope it works out for you. Cheers
__________________
2001 National Tradewinds 7372
Thewellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 25
I used poly glow on complete coach
daryl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:42 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
rwdriver's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Pensacola, fl
Posts: 22
[QUOTE=Zogman;5769044]Good morning fellow National owners. I have an 02 Sea Breeze LX 8311. The rear cap of the coach really has a splotchy look about it. I've tried compound and wax and really nothing is making it look better. I was thinking of maybe wet sanding it with 400 or 600 grit sand paper and then spraying it with an automotive clearcoat. I've painted and clear coated before but not sure what the result of just a clear coat would be on his surface.

Any experience with this issue out there?

Thanks in advance.


Go for it Zoli. 3 years ago I had the same with front and rear caps. Wash rig and wiped down. Sanded lightly with 300 grit on orbital sander to scuff it up. washed and wiped down, dried and sprayed 2 coats of sherwin willams automotive clear on it. 3 years later sill looks great. The back of RV is in full sun all day. So I say go for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210609_181316.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	331562   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210609_181333.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	331563  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210609_181346.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	331564  
rwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:14 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 124
Wow!!! That looks awesome. Now that's what I'm talking about right there. That will have to be my fallback. I've already wet sanded the rear cap and it's looking good. The Meguires 49 is still in transit so I have not been able to buff it out.

But 300 grit, holy cow that's coarse. I would think a 600 would be plenty to lay the clear over..... but what do i know.

Thank you very much for the info. Your caps look perfect.
__________________
2014 Phaeton 36GH
Zogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rear



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paint or Clear Coat Fade on Front Cap FOSJ Entegra Owner's Forum 1 08-28-2020 03:33 PM
Is the Radiator Cap a standard 7 psi cap or a "specialty part"? CountryB Monaco Owner's Forum 7 12-23-2018 05:36 PM
3M Front Cap Clear Film Walt5701 iRV2.com General Discussion 15 04-05-2015 07:32 PM
Front cap clear shield/film? scenic route MH-General Discussions & Problems 6 05-12-2010 08:21 PM
CLEAR PLASTIC ON FRONT CAP ingramsail Fleetwood Owner's Forum 4 09-17-2008 09:30 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.