Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #1

Coach battery not charging

We just bought our first Class A, a 1994 30 foot National Tropi Cal on a P32 chassis. For some reason, the main battery charges just fine but the coach battery does not. Is there a main fuse between the motor or alternator and the coach battery in the doorwell?

Any help would be much appreciated as I do not have a wiring diagram to guide me through this issue.

thanks
Michael
michaelabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

There might be a malfunctioning solenoid. The reason I say 'might' is I'm not sure what a 1994 National was capable of out of the factory. In a perfect world, any time a charging (+13.4 v) current was sensed from either house or chassis batteries, this solenoid would link the two groups together. As soon as the charging current isn't present, the solenoid disconnects the two battery groups. If you have a 'boost' switch on the dashboard for emergency starting, that switch usually triggers the solenoid. If you have a boost switch and it's not working, then track down that solenoid and replace or clean it. Good luck!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club

Just so everyone is on the same page. I'm confused easily ; )

Chassis batteries start the engine.

House Batteries for pretty much everything else.

Someone will likely be able to find the diagrams/schematics for you.

Good luck!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelabc View Post
We just bought our first Class A, a 1994 30 foot National Tropi Cal on a P32 chassis. For some reason, the main battery charges just fine but the coach battery does not. Is there a main fuse between the motor or alternator and the coach battery in the doorwell?
Any help would be much appreciated as I do not have a wiring diagram to guide me through this issue.
thanks
Michael
michaelabc
Which battery do you consider your "main" battery, the "chassis" battery or the "house" battery?
Mel
'96 Safrari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:33 AM   #5

The main battery is the chassis battery and the house battery is the for the coach and that is not charging. There is no boost switch on the dash and when I check the voltage on either side of the solenoid, it reads the same lower voltage than the chassis battery.

The chassis battery is higher at this point but when I measure the two sides of the solenoid they are both at the lower level (coach batter level). Is there a fuse somewhere between the solenoid wire in (red) and the alternator?
michaelabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Do you know for a FACT that you have a bi-directional charging system?

If not there are devices that can be added that will keep all batteries fully charged whether you are hooked to shore power, generator power or have the engine running.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelabc View Post
The main battery is the chassis battery and the house battery is the for the coach and that is not charging. There is no boost switch on the dash and when I check the voltage on either side of the solenoid, it reads the same lower voltage than the chassis battery.

The chassis battery is higher at this point but when I measure the two sides of the solenoid they are both at the lower level (coach batter level). Is there a fuse somewhere between the solenoid wire in (red) and the alternator?
Look for another solenoid. You could be checking the disconnect solenoid.

If it's not working, you will see different voltages on each side.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
You might want to check the GFI electrical outlets in the Bathroom sink and Kitchen areas. If they tripped you will not have power to outlets and the converter box. At least that is what happened in my MH, Hope that helps

Richard
Old 01-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richs050 View Post
You might want to check the GFI electrical outlets in the Bathroom sink and Kitchen areas. If they tripped you will not have power to outlets and the converter box. At least that is what happened in my MH, Hope that helps

Richard
We've been discussing 12 systems, I've not seen a converter/charger wired through a GFI, they are usually wired directly into the 120 breaker panel.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:

Richard
That sounds different. The few converters I have seen, have their own circuit breaker in the panel.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
My converter plugs in to the 110vac and that ac circuit as the same as the bathroom GFI plug. When the GFI trips, there is no 110v plugs on that side of the MH and the coach batteries do not get charged and go dead.

Richard
Old 01-22-2016, 11:27 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
My converter plugs in to the 110vac and that ac circuit as the same as the bathroom GFI plug. When the GFI trips, there is no 110v plugs on that side of the MH and the coach batteries do not get charged and go dead.

Richard
Same as mine was before I put it on it's own breaker in the main breaker panel. Did that when I installed a 2000 watt inverter and sub panel to power selected items.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:14 AM   #13

Quote:
My converter plugs in to the 110vac and that ac circuit as the same as the bathroom GFI plug. When the GFI trips the coach batteries do not get charged and go dead.
Richard
richs050
I suggest you correct that, (or have a electrician correct it).
Although it's not "dangerous" it could be "very inconvenient".
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:21 AM   #14

Quote:

Richard
Not doubting what you have, just wondering.

Being that your rig is a 2001, is your converter the original or possibly a replacement 3 stage model that is plugged in ?

Tags
battery, charging