Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I concur and now that it is mentioned I think my actual MH is wired per # 2. It is not here for me to look at my actual set up. I simply used a generic wiring diagram to aid the OP in solving a problem. Now that is achieved he can move to the finer points.

As I said I came late to the party.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First question: Is there a battery there now? YES, read on, NO: skip to Uh-Oh

Mark the positive wires and the negative wire(s) with red (Positive) and black (negative) paint, nail polish or tape.

Now you currently have

-{Battery}+
With six volt you will have
-{Bat}+t-{ery}+ (the t in the middle is a jumper wire)

In both cases you have a 12 volt battery, (The lower one is a 4D)

End of first part

Uh-Oh

Figuring out which one is negative is the issue,,, Usually there is only one, but there may be more.. If they were not marked as above by the Prior owner you can have several positive wires.

Two of the wires will be larger than the rest (possibly only one) Follow these wires, One will most likely go to a "Device" (Fuse, circuit breaker or switch) this is the POSITIVE (main positive) wire

The other will most likely bolt to the chassis, though that can be 50 feet from here you hook up (well on my rig) This is the negative, mark it.

The rest are most likely positive but you need to test protected. here is how

I have assorted test lights
Two of them are basically Dash Lamp bulbs, one has wires soldered to it, the other is a store bought assembly I really like for this kind of thing, it has a clear or colored handle, an ice pick point, and a wire coming out the handle, lamp is inside.

Another is a 50 or 75 or 100 watt 12 volt Trouble light (not sure what size lamp I have in it) another is a 150 Watt flood light

How to test other leads

With unit not plugged in hook clip to positive battery terminal. Touch each wire in turn, if any fully light the lamp hold it for a bit if the lamp continues at full brillance mark as suspect,,, Any wire that keeps lamp dark is a device not drawnng power

Find out what is not working

Have partner try to activate that device (Steps are #1)

That shoudl do it. If all else fails you can try a bigger lamp.

Any wire that keeps the light on full is most likely a ground.

Tags
battery, wiring, wiring diagram